Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: May/June Lite Entry - The HMS Victory

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Depends on how look the map itself? IS it just outlines, is there colours on it? Are you gonna all hand-drawn? Colours too?

Can't wait to see the WIP's or the final entry. I've studied the plans of he Victory for almost a week, because it is one of the most impressive ships ever built.

Blog Entries

@ - Max -: It's sharpie (as usual) and just the outline. I am aiming for it to look something like this --> Picture 4 of 11 from Finished Maps

I'll try to do this in the form of a bunch of WIP posts.
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

ok so that's kind of easy. Once you have your drawing finished and imported in GIMP on a new layer above your background layer, just set the drawing layer to multiply in the blending modes options and set the opacity at your will. I'd also recommend that you duplicate your background layer, put it on your drawing layer and set some blending mode with low opacity (try several blending modes like overlay for example) to make the whole thing more consistent.

Blog Entries

Thanks Max, I'll give it another go when I work up the energy.

I just did a very rough sketch of what I'm going for. There are plenty of things on this sketch that will need to be changed. Among them: the proportions are far from perfect, I need to learn how to draw cannons, and I need to put this lower on the paper so I can get more of the mast. If anyone has cannon-drawing tips (or pictures), those would be very appreciated.

Also, keep in mind that I didn't use a ruler (and this took about 10 minutes). On the actual version, the lines will be cleaner and there will be more details.

Looking forward to adding more decks.

Comments, suggestions, tips, etc... are vital at this stage. Thanks

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roughdraft 001.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	54724
    Last edited by foremost; 05-19-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Interesting project. I used the Victory as a model for one of my challenge entries a few months back (although it was a side view), and I had detailed plans and such like (the type that ship modellers use; really high detail), but unfortunately I seem to have deleted them. If you follow this link (http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...ructible-1.jpg) you'll be able to see the clearest version that I did. I could possibly rescan the plans, and sectional views, if you need them, but it might take some time. Good luck with it.

Blog Entries

Sounds cool! I didn't think anyone else would have done the HMS Victory, but I guess it's a very popular ship.

As an update, I completed the rough draft and will probably do a few more drafts (as if it was the real thing) before starting the final draft. Obviously, don't want to mess up and not be able to go back, so I'll have to use pencil, then go over it in sharpie. Hopefully when I erase the scanner won't pick up the faded lines. I've got a really good eraser though, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Blog Entries

I've made some progress this weekend and have started the final (project itself). I'll upload over the course of this next week the WIP pics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12