Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May/June Lite Entry - The HMS Victory

Blog Entries

Wip May/June Lite Entry - The HMS Victory

Hello all!

Another great mapping challenge is out ( http://www.cartographersguild.com/cu...oy-maties.html ) and I think I'll test my mapping skill with this one. I aim to make a deck plan of the HMS Victory (as best I can). I don't expect it to be 100% accurate, but I'll be working off of the many virtual tours and pictures online in order to make it realistic.

First off, I just drew a simple border for the map. There are a total of 8 decks on the HMS Victory, and I plan on using each big rectangle to map one deck. Assuming my entry cannot be multiple pictures, I will need to print the border out 3 more times (the original making 4) and draw each deck. Then, I'll have to put them all together on the computer. Does anyone know how to do that?

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Border 001.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	334.6 KB 
ID:	54691
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected dasneviano's Avatar

Yeah man, easiest thing in the world (to put them together). I can help you if you don't figure out how to do it yourself!

Blog Entries

Name:	HMSVictoryAerial-cb05093.jpg 
Views:	9619 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	54699

That's the best aerial photo I could find of the HMS Victory. I was disappointed to find they don't have photos taken from the crow's nest looking down.

Now I get to attempt to draw the first couple decks. Once I figure out the shape, it should be "smooth sailing" (I hope).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Maybe this can help you?
    It sure can! That's a Third-rate ship, whereas the Victory is a first, but I'd imagine they share some things in common. HMS Victory - Fun Facts and Information contained a lot of info about what each deck holds...

I could turn the border sideways and do the decks that way, if I can't figure out how to draw them looking directly down. However, I'd also like to include the hammocks and goods stored in the hull, and it's be rather difficult to do that side-on, I would think. Maybe I can do two decks on the vertical sections and then those two horizontally (like the lower part of what you sent) below that...

It's a good thing this isn't due tomorrow, cause it's gonna take some work and decisiveness. Thanks for the photo.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

No problem, glad it helps. I'm loooking forward to see the progress on this map

Blog Entries

I think I have found a nice way to do this - I'm going to map out the whole ship on one sheet of paper. In order to give each deck the most room possible, the paper will look like this:

|__________|
    |__________| Looking forward to getting to work on this tonight and tomorrow!
    |__________|
    |__________|
    |__________|

-foremost
    Last edited by foremost; 05-18-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Sounds good! I found this cross-section picture, thought it might help http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4114/...3ef25e3354.jpg

Blog Entries

Thanks Bogie! I think it's all about the angle I'm drawing this at.

Blog Entries

Name:	paper texture 2.jpg 
Views:	7939 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	54718

This is the paper background I'd like to use for my map. When I scan my map into the computer, it'll be on white paper. I can add in the background with GIMP, right?
    Considering that the map is going to be very complex, is there an easy way to put the paper texture in the back?

How to change a photo's background (using Gimp 2) - YouTube looks like something I can do, but it'd take forever to remove the pixels. I can't figure out how to add layers either - I can make a new layer under the first and fill it with the paper texture, but then I can't figure out how to go back to the first layer.
    Last edited by foremost; 05-19-2013 at 12:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast