Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: May/June Lite Entry - Through the Splotch Isles

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great !! The octupus is clearly not impressed with the mermaid and for her part she is probably lamenting her lack of dating choices.... Great work
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Thanks everyone! I'll paint mermaids on all my maps from now on

Finished detailing said mermaid, and also gave the islands some mountains:

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Splotch Isles4.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	54948

Starting to feel the panic as the deadline approaches, but then all the other entries look so good so I won't have a chance even if I would manage to finish, lol. Here's another small update, I just sharpened the shadows on the mountains and rubbed out some highlights, and added planks to the ship. Before, I thought the mountains were to fuzzy and undefined, but now I think they might be a bit overpowering. Hopefully they'll blend in better when the final details are in place.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Splotch Isles5.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	55163

Guild Apprentice

I think the mountains seam overpowering because they they are the only feature on the islands. Other details will help fill out the map, and in turn tone down the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinoex View Post
    I think the mountains seam overpowering because they they are the only feature on the islands. Other details will help fill out the map, and in turn tone down the mountains.
    I think if he tucks some jungle in and around the mountains, it will tone them down some.

Possible, but I want to keep the islands rather clean. They are only meant to function as obstacles, while the ship's path will be the focus of the map, so I don't think I'll add any more terrain features. I've been experimenting with the path digitally and I think it balances the mountains enough. Posting pictures soon Thanks for the feedback though!

You still have about 9 days, Git-er-Done! The mountains stand out more on the thumbnail view, On the full size view they look fine.

The deadline is June 13, so six days yesterday, five today But you're right, still plenty of time

Here's what I've come up with, everything new in this version is hand-painted elements placed digitally, so I can still change the path and compass if needed. If I keep it this way, there's only labeling and a title left to do.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Splotch Isles9.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	55195

Disclaimer: I don't know if there are starfish with eight arms. If not, it's a mutant starfish.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I love the corner art. That octopus is like, "Somebody get me off this damn sign!"

There are starfish with many different numbers of legs, but it does not matter, you can make your starfish any way you want.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast