Thread: Pen and Paper supplies, need recommendations

Default Pen and Paper supplies, need recommendations

So, i'm on a budget of about 50 $, what I want is a poster sized laminated and somewhat hard version of the world map, so that we can use it for sort of a fast travel board, and the usual getup.
    Miniatures, good drawing supplies, and nice thick, grid drawing paper for the battlemaps. (I love to keep maps, hence why i'm not getting one that can erase.)
    And, any other suggestions you have.

As for the system i'm using, it's a toned down version of Savage Worlds.

Edit: I have done virtual games before, but never a real life one.
    Last edited by eViLe_eAgLe; 05-20-2013 at 08:46 PM.

So are you wanting to make a poster of a map you already made, is that it? If so, you might look into having one printed. I would think it would be less than 50 bucks.

If you want to make it from scratch however, well, I'm not sure. It's been too long since I attempted anything like that. Which does remind me, I have a huge dungeon on giant graph paper I should try scanning in and sharing.

Are you wanting to color the map or just black and white, as that means something else?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Yes, printed, and preferably color. Sorry, I should of made myself clearer.

I think you may not be getting as much feedback on this simply because there are a zillion directions you could go with this.

If you look on deviantArt and just do a search using "Colored Pens" you see a huge variety of looks and styles.

If it was me, I would probably attempt something incorporating watercolor paints (which are cheap) but that's just because I'm on a watercolor tear these days.

A lot depends on the look you are after too. A lot of people use those Prismacolor pencils, although I think they also do pens but I don't have a lot of experience with pens. You can go with dipped ink pens as well and buy vials of colored inks to use. Then there are the markers as well. The list goes on and on.

I'm thinking if you can find a look you like, you might see if you can find out what the artist uses and that might give you an indication.

As far as a large page to work on goes, I would hit up your local art supply and check out what they have. Everything from thick watercolor paper to hard poster board I'm sure. Look for a surface you want to work on based on the feel of it, etc.

Sorry I'm not more helpful
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

No, it's alright, you've helped a bit.
    I think i'll go with watercolor, I've been meaning to try it, just because it looks so.. Sexy, to say the least.

Well, don't be afraid to experiment before you try something, it's not totally controllable