Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Europe in 1623

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Thamupp, you are doing a great job here. Just finish something to get moving. And dont overcrowed you with too many projetcs at the same time. I am already doing so

Here's the most recent WIP. Not much has changed but I decided to change some labels.

Still unsure about the whole "Great Britain vs England & Scotland" thing...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	otoomans.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	56457

Great project .

Shoudn't Habsburgs be replace by Austria ? Habsburg is just the name of the dynasty. It's like calling France Bourbon.

Do you plan the add the political entities around the Caspian sea and in North Africa as well ? I'm just asking but I don't know much about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Great project .

Shoudn't Habsburgs be replace by Austria ? Habsburg is just the name of the dynasty. It's like calling France Bourbon.

Do you plan the add the political entities around the Caspian sea and in North Africa as well ? I'm just asking but I don't know much about them.
    I decided to go with the Habsburg Monarchy/Empire instead. I choose to do the same with the Spanish branch or the Habsburgs as well.

The regions around the caspian see are either not really ruled by anyone or part of Persia. Why Persia isn't on this map I don't know, must have forgotten.
    North Africa will probably stay like it is. I guess I could give the Ottomans their north african holdings and I believe Morocco was a thing at this point.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thamupp View Post
    I decided to go with the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habsburg_Monarchy"]
    I guess I could give the Ottomans their north african holdings and I believe Morocco was a thing at this point.
    Should be more accurate with this yea.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Should be more accurate with this yea.
    Well, I understand that I might should Include north african borders, but I think I prefer africa in it's current state. The non contiguous borders of the ottomans would just irritate me too much

However, I don't see why I should rename the entity i called "Habsburgs" on my map to Austria. Quote from wikipedia:

Habsburg monarchy or Austrian monarchy (1526–1867): This was an unofficial, but very frequent name – even at that time. The entity had no official name. Note that technically the term "Habsburg monarchy" can also refer to the period 1276–1918 when the Habsburgs ruled in the monarchy (archduchy) centred in present-day Austria and "Austrian monarchy" can refer to the monarchy centered in present-day Austria 1156–1867, but both terms are usually not used this way.

You might be right, today we call it Austria but it was not always the case. I mean it might be like the name Bizantium. It's a modern word that the people of the era never used. Still, lot of people just write Bizantium instead of East roman empire while the people from there never considered themselve to be something else than roman.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

The name Byzantine wasn't used though the city name Bizantium isn't a modern word and was already used by greeks, like Diodore mentioned it.

It's possible that I mixed the english words but yes, Bizantium was a greek colony. But you get the point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12