Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Europe in 1623

Wip Europe in 1623

Feeling a bit unmotivated to continue with my Scandinavia map I decided to resume working on a map of Europe this evening. I'm not sure at all where this is heading, but I figured I might as well share it here.

Any feedback would be much appreciated of course. I was very pleased with how I got the basemap to look like (no country borders) but after I started filling in the map I'm not so sure I'm moving in the right direction anymore.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1623whitetext.jpg 
Views:	640 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	54771

A few notes:
    -"Great Britain"-label looks a bit too big in this picture.
    -Great Britain wasn't actually a country at this point (Scotland and England was just in a union) but the king did style himself as "King of Great Britain"
    -Borders are mostly historically accurate (a few mistakes in the HRE and Italy, I'm sure.) I used Centennia to draw the borders.
    -Watch out for bad spelling.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

Outstanding! I love the simpleness and cleanliness of the composition! Keep up!

Looks very good. I'm not going to attest to the accuracy of your HRE internal borders. I doubt even the mapmakers of that day could keep up with them.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow! Just... wow. Any chance you'd be willing to share that base map with us?

Very nice. Just going to point out you've misspelled Habsburg/Hapsburg. And also, although it's up to you, I don't think you need to include 'The' Ottoman Empire. I didn't spot any other spelling mistakes, but some labels are a bit small to be easily read.

Quote Originally Posted by WillP View Post
    Looks very good. I'm not going to attest to the accuracy of your HRE internal borders. I doubt even the mapmakers of that day could keep up with them.
    Hehe, indeed! Even the best sources I could find had unmapped parts of the HRE called "Lesser Imperial States".

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Wow! Just... wow. Any chance you'd be willing to share that base map with us?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1623Base.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	54816

Not sure if this is what you mean, but this is what I was referring to as the "base map" in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post
    Very nice. Just going to point out you've misspelled Habsburg/Hapsburg. And also, although it's up to you, I don't think you need to include 'The' Ottoman Empire. I didn't spot any other spelling mistakes, but some labels are a bit small to be easily read.
    Thanks for the spelling tips! For some reason I always think "HASBURGERS?" when I hear "Habsburgs", not sure why.
    Small labels shouldn't be a massive issue (no pun intended) considering this is downsized quite a bit.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Good map, however there was no Great Britain in 1623. Scotland was still a sovereign nation at this time.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

i love these maps of yours! keep up the good work

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Thanks for that, thamupp, that's exactly what I meant!

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    Good map, however there was no Great Britain in 1623. Scotland was still a sovereign nation at this time.
    Thanks! Yes, I included this in my notes in the OP:
    "-Great Britain wasn't actually a country at this point (Scotland and England was just in a union) but the king did style himself as "King of Great Britain"".

I'm not sure splitting Scotland and England up would be justified considering all other Personal Unions on the map is either labeled as "the biggest country's" name or by the rulers name. But perhaps that is justified here as the union is still in it's early stages? Please let me know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    i love these maps of yours! keep up the good work
    Thank you! I can't tell you what an inspiration your maps have been to me so far, just looking at your latest WIP has really gotten my creativity going. I've been throwing together a map of ancient greece today/last night that has a style very similar to your current WIP map. I hope you don't mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Thanks for that, thamupp, that's exactly what I meant!
    No problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast