Thread: New member introduction

Default New member introduction

Hello all.
    Just a quick introduction. I'm Dan and I've been a lover of maps since I made my first treasure map as I child. My love of maps grew stronger in my early teens when I started playing more computer games, especially rp games that came with fold out maps. I since have misplaced some of those games but their maps are still on my walls or among my books. I collect any map I can get hold of, my most recent being a Thorins map replica from the hobbit.
    A few months back me and some friends started a dungeons and dragons campaign and as the dungeon master I've tasked myself with creating a beautiful world to play and what's a world without a map. Searching the internet for tips and guides on how to create great looking maps I stumbled upon this site and wow I'm impressed.
    You guys have created maps I could only dream of making. I've only ever hand drawn my maps but with the help and info on this site I would one day like to create great looking professional maps like the ones I see on here.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Firstly, Welcome to The Guild, The Mappiest Place on the Web

Now that THAT is out of the way, You have come to the right place if you want to improve, or even gain, mapping techniques. Your dreams are actually closer than you think as our Tutorial forum is just jam packed with way to create maps of all sorts, using all kinds of progs and even some that are for Pen and Paper maps. Have a look through for a style you like and have at 'er. Once you start working on a map, post up a WIP (Work In Progress) thread here and you will get all sots of helpfull C&C. Don't be shy, or intimidated, because we are a freindly bunch here, and I am sure that some of those maps that impressed you are made by people that started right where you are now when THEY came to the Guild.

Have fun, enjoy your stay and I will be looking for you in the WIPS
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Thanks for the kind words. I plan on having a rough map drawn up this weekend that I will scan and upload onto the site. The problem I have though is I only have access to an A4 printer scanner so my maps wont be that large. I'm also thinking of purchasing a graphics tab but wouldn't have a clue what a good one is and what isn't, but I guess that a topic for a different thread.
    I was planning on asking someone to make a map but decided in the end to give it ago my self. Look forward to uploading my wip map and to getting advice from people who know what they're doing.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Well, if you are looking at buying a graphic tablet, we have this little thread that might help clarify things.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

I have yet to make my own introductions, as is my normal practice I am getting a lay of the land before posting! However I can say that with use of photoshop and a good scanner you can align and scan in a map in pieces and then stitch it back together. I do this all the time as a digital artist, and I have used the same practice several times myself to import my own maps for digital work