Thread: Any other good map styles besides Atlas map style?

Question Any other good map styles besides Atlas map style?

Hey guys. I am making a world map. I've already made one using Atlas map style, but it really bums me out that I can't add or remove pieces of land after I have fully completed the map. So, do you know any other styles that might better suit my needs, that I can edit after? Thanks.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Hmm. what do you mean by 'remove pieces of land'? is that something in reference to the actual process of map-creation, or something you want to be able to do once its finished? or are you referring to things like layers? just in case, what programme are you using?

When you say styles of world map, do mean things like projection, or faux-sepia, or gaudy fantasy 'gah-im-gonna-blind-myself-with-bright-colours' or something else?

By "remove pieces of land" I meant something I want to be able to do once the map is finished. I am using Photoshop and Illustrator.

By styles of map I mean styles to create landmasses, projections etc. Basically a style which makes a world map which is editable after the map is fully finished.

ok. mind if i ask why you want to remove the landmasses (might help with the answer)? best way of doing that is to make sure that each landmass is on a separate layer so you can easily hide/unhide it as required.

Well, some islands are redundant, and the main continent is too big and I want to cut out some parts of it and put sea there instead.

i hope youre still working with different layers and non-rasterised layer styles (if any - like stroke, and shadows and glows). if theyre rasterised you might have a bit of trouble chopping the map up. if you can post a screenshot of your layer layout i might be able to give you more feedback

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	124884545_234.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	54786

Here you go.

Perhaps you'd like to take a look at Rav's http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...photoshop.html
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name