Thread: Photoshop Bevel/emboss question

Guild Adept

Question Photoshop Bevel/emboss question

Is there a way to have the bevel/emboss effect rendered with some noise, just as the drop shadow effect can?

Context: I am using the effect to make mountains or elevations, and in certain styles I would like the "grainy" effect, just as the one we could easily get with shadow by adding noise.

Thanks.

Would a texture on top of it work?

Guild Adept

I don't know, how would you do that?

To be clearer, this is the kind of effect (here on drop shadow) which I would like to get on the bevel/emboss effect.

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  4.9 KB

You can add a texture to the effect. In the sidebar to the left, there should be two subcategories called Contour and Texture. If you click on Texture, you can load a pattern which will be used as an alpha for the effect. The Rock Patterns presets might have what you need.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Adept

That does not give the effect I want, or at least I haven't been able to get it that way.

If you right-click on the FX icon in the layers tab it'll bring up a menu. Third from the bottom is an option called "Create Layers". That will convert your Bevel/Emboss into a pair of layers, one for your highlight and one for your shadow. The new layers will retain all of the properties you set in the effects panel including colour and blending mode and will look identical to their original counterparts, but now will be completely editable. This will allow you to add noise manually to the shadows and highlights using filters or custom brushes, or even new layer effects.

It's a bit of a tricky way of working with it but it will give you the control you need.

Which version of Photoshop are you using ?
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Quote Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
    Which version of Photoshop are you using ?
    CS4, but as far as I know that's not changed in newer versions, and it works like that in versions as far back as Photoshop 6.

I just want to add that there's another option for getting noise in the embossed areas and that's to use an Inner Glow with noise and the blending mode set to either Overlay or one of the Light options in place of Screen in conjuction with a Bevel/Emboss layer effect, though this gives mediocre results in my experience.