Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey there.

Map

... and finally, to show that I also love knowing where interior stuff is (even though, duh, it's inside), some of that, too ... the dungeony bits are (on the left) a proof-of-concept test for a texture test, then the same textures applied to a temple map from a WIP (same wip as the map in the above post). The spaceship is ... like a ship, but in space. Upper deck left, lower (hold) right. More vectory.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uresia-ruinbits.gif 
Views:	45 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	4645   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sjr-pts2-freightver.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	252.2 KB 
ID:	4646  

Quote Originally Posted by Ghalev View Post
    Yes! I have done many maps, a few have their fans, but this is probably my finest hour.

Mind you, the fans of my other maps usually just stare in horror at this one and wonder if I'm joking. It's a communications issue; I have it on the to-do.
    to-do = fix communication issue? I find torture works well to convince people to my point of view most of the time. That and endless hours of Yanni pipe music until they relent.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghalev View Post
    ... and because this one (the only currently-public map from several in a WIP to be published Real Soon Now, Honest) is laying around, here's that, too. Not quite as rock-out-awesome, but more technique and stuff.

Actually, I think this is very rock awesome and much more triumphant than the previous.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

No no, I agree with Ghalev, the first one has a certain charm that endears itself to me, a je ne sais quoi, except not as French.

Quote Originally Posted by Naeddyr View Post
    No no, I agree with Ghalev, the first one has a certain charm that endears itself to me, a je ne sais quoi, except not as French.
    That's cool. For me, I am just not that big of a hand drawn b/w map fan, probably because I totally reek at it. Although, the map mentioned certainly does have some evocative place names!

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    The S. John Ross ?!??! As in DA's Temphis? and Cumberland Games?

Sweet!

-Rob A>
    Well the Temphis in Ghalev's avatar would suggest yes....

Great set of maps!

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Actually, I think this is very rock awesome and much more triumphant than the previous.
    Yanni, did you say? Excellent ... (reaches for the PLAY button ...)

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    The S. John Ross ?!??! As in DA's Temphis? and Cumberland Games?
    I don't normally think of myself as "The" anything (the "S." is confusing enough) but otherwise, yah. "Ghalev" is a holdover from Star Trek material I did for Last Unicorn Games, but it just stuck after a while ...

Actually, come to think of it, I did maps for that, too, but not the published ones in that case; just base maps redrawn by LUG's graphics guys. I think my first professional RPG mapping gig may have been a few for an In Nomine book awhile back. Yeeeeek.

A Google led me here but it turns out I couldn't look at the cool maps without signing up, so, I signed up.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    That's cool. For me, I am just not that big of a hand drawn b/w map fan, probably because I totally reek at it. Although, the map mentioned certainly does have some evocative place names!
    I chose those two, really, because I consider them siblings. While the graphic techniqe for each is vastly different, I built them both on the same design principle: HEAVY NOISE. Lots and lots of unexplained place-names fired into the face of the Game Master like shotgun pellets on the theory that at least a couple will net his godly attentions.

The first one may be spotted in its natural context in the goofy freeware hoaxy game here:
    http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/encounter-critical.htm

The second one may only be spotted in isolation for the moment, but it's one of a half-dozen maps to appear in the forthcoming systemless edition of Uresia: Grave of Heaven.

... and the similarities are no accident. I consider Uresia and Encounter Critical to be blood-brothers in many ways, two sides of the same wobbly mountain of gaming luuuv ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast