Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Go ahead, laugh.

Post Go ahead, laugh.

I have this vision in my head of a city map made by me that doesn't suck. So here are the oddities that were spawned of this vision. The first one I made was Fort Forte, in which I neglected the need for texture. Secondly, I made Port Haven, which is currently my favorite, followed by Ville Town, where the forests look like moss growing on the picture. Check beck often, as I will post more.

PS: Are there any good tutorials for making forests in GIMP?

Edit/PPS: I know the first question is going to be about a scale. The answer is "I don't really know what to make the scale." So there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fort.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	4616   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Port.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	4617   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Villetown.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	4618  
    Last edited by megabyter5; 06-25-2008 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by megabyter5 View Post
    What kind of forest? If you show an example, I might be able to come up with something (cause the ones in my big tutorial are adequate, but not great).

I am interested in the building style you use here... Is it intentional that the building are soft, or are you looking for tips on drawing squarer buildings?

-Rob A>

Yep, there are several tutorials and mini tuts around. Ascension just posted a pretty nice one up just a few days ago for making trees in PS that you should be able to adapt. Also, DanChops took a modified method from Robs tutorial and made a little mini tut in a post around 4 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I am interested in the building style you use here... Is it intentional that the building are soft, or are you looking for tips on drawing squarer buildings?

-Rob A>
    Also, watch out when using drop shadows as they tend to make things look like they are floating above the ground.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Personally, I like the look of the tents...reminds me of Dig Em Smacks cereal or some other puffed rice thing, but yeah, I like the second one as well.

I think your maps shows some real promise. The building edges are not crisp enough for me (but that is for me tho, YMMV)
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

GRRRRRR! I've probably tried every tree tutorial on this site, and they all either needed PS layer effects, or just plain looked awful! Does anyone know what I should do?

Quote Originally Posted by megabyter5 View Post
    GRRRRRR! I've probably tried every tree tutorial on this site, and they all either needed PS layer effects, or just plain looked awful! Does anyone know what I should do?
    I have been using the variation on on RobA's Regional map DanChops came up with that uses plasma for a regional map. That is probably not the right scale for your use here though. I think Torq uses GIMP and he has some really nice trees in a recent city map post he did for this months challenge, so check the recent posts and ask a question over there.

If all else fails and you find something in PS that you like, point RobA to it and being the GIMP god that he is, he will figure out a way to do it if given a few days. I know I have see several other PS techniques he has adapted from an original poster in a thread. Not sure if this includes trees, so you would have to spend time searching the threads. Or just wait until someone else replies that knows the answer!

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    I have been using the variation on on RobA's Regional map DanChops came up with that uses plasma for a regional map. That is probably not the right scale for your use here though. I think Torq uses GIMP and he has some really nice trees in a recent city map post he did for this months challenge, so check the recent posts and ask a question over there.

If all else fails and you find something in PS that you like, point RobA to it and being the GIMP god that he is, he will figure out a way to do it if given a few days. I know I have see several other PS techniques he has adapted from an original poster in a thread. Not sure if this includes trees, so you would have to spend time searching the threads. Or just wait until someone else replies that knows the answer!

Joe

I do use Gimp and those trees are gimp (or photoshop - they also work in gimp now as long as they have .abr extensions) brushes that I downloaded at Deviantart.com. I think the author is "Istar".

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    I do use Gimp and those trees are gimp (or photoshop - they also work in gimp now as long as they have .abr extensions) brushes that I downloaded at Deviantart.com. I think the author is "Istar".

Torq
    I searched at DA and couldn't find Can you look up the brush pack name?

-Rob A>

I checked DA's GIMP brushes section, but to no avail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast