Thread: Hello!

Guild Novice

Default Hello!

Hello,

I'm Melvin The artistically challenged DM. I've been doing pen and paper rpgs for some years, and I've always wanted to make maps. So now is as good a time as any to start, and being a part of this community can only make me better!

So hello everyone!

Melvin

welcome!

also.. melvin the artistically challenged DM sounds like a childrens story.

you'll find tonnes of tutorials, tonnes of help, and tonnes of people here to help you...

My suggestion would be to dive in! a great way to start is to doodle on some graph paper, doesn't need to look great, and it's faster than trying to use a computer...

If your like me, you may also be interested in the mechanics of the thing.. when building a world, how does the geography work, when making a city, how do the logistics work, is there enough food available for a city of this size? hows the trade? how would that effect the people who live there... a mining town would be full of rugged dirty people... a frontier town would be full of ruff, hardy, tough, and probably rambunctious folk... there are tonnes of things to think of, and that detail is something i really like imaging when thinking up a town... it obviously flows out into mapping as well, approaching things modularly is a good idea.. take it one step at a time.. and ask for help! most people here will have at least thought of even your most outlandish ideas.. or most likely have run into a problem you have a dozen or more times.

we prop each other up with our knowledge around here.. that's why i love this place.
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool