Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ancient Greece

Wip Ancient Greece

I feel a bit silly posting all these WIP threads at the same time but I can't help myself. Getting inspiration from this board I got the wonderful idea of mapping Ancient Greece. Just like with the european map, I'm not at all sure where this 'project' is going, but it looks kind of cool so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GreeceBase.jpg 
Views:	1388 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	54832

Here's the current map. I just started with the main river branches.

Name:	GreeceLand.jpg 
Views:	768 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	54833 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GreeceConcept1.jpg 
Views:	843 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	54834 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GreeceConcept2.jpg 
Views:	3620 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	54835

And here's some concept/testing maps. The first one is a test of country labels/borders and the other two are the two different timeframes I've been thinking about. Both look really good, so I can't decide wich one I prefer, however, I'm leaning towards the Peloponnesian War one since having more Greek cities on the anatolian coast might look quite interesting, on the flip side it makes the Persian borders look kind of weird. I'd love to know your thoughts on this!

Guild Member Facebook Connected Gumboot's Avatar

I'm of two minds too I'm afraid, I like both. One thing, will you use the names as you have shown on this map, or the names of the period? The names you have are how the region was named during Medieval times - for example the Gulf of Lepanto was (and today is) the Gulf of Corinth, the Gulf of Salonica was the Thermaic Gulf, and the Gulf of Egina was the Saronic Gulf.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

omg, another Diamond with unfinished WIPs !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboot View Post
    I'm of two minds too I'm afraid, I like both. One thing, will you use the names as you have shown on this map, or the names of the period? The names you have are how the region was named during Medieval times - for example the Gulf of Lepanto was (and today is) the Gulf of Corinth, the Gulf of Salonica was the Thermaic Gulf, and the Gulf of Egina was the Saronic Gulf.
    Consider any labels currently on the map placeholders. Are you just very familiar with the region or do you know a good resource/map for the Aegean Sea? Unfortunately I know next to nothing about this region or it's history. So I'm hoping someone here might be able to guide me when it comes to certain names/borders.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    omg, another Diamond with unfinished WIPs !!!
    Hopefully this is the last one... this week.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Splendid waveform Labels! Can you tell me how to do so? I am realy bad with curved fonts....

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    Splendid waveform Labels! Can you tell me how to do so? I am realy bad with curved fonts....
    It's just curved paths. In photoshop you can draw a path then put the text cursor on top of it and write on the path. You can also write on shapes, if you want to make a circle of text for example.

EDIT: Here's a picture of the process. I assume most people already know of this, but perhaps it would be worth posting as a mini-tut?

Name:	Curved Text.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	54849
    Last edited by thamupp; 05-24-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Gumboot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thamupp View Post
    Consider any labels currently on the map placeholders. Are you just very familiar with the region or do you know a good resource/map for the Aegean Sea? Unfortunately I know next to nothing about this region or it's history. So I'm hoping someone here might be able to guide me when it comes to certain names/borders.
    It can be tricky finding good labelled maps of Ancient Greece with the historical names, particularly of the water ways.

Here's three I've found though, which I am pretty sure have the ancient names:

http://www.oxfordtutorials.com/GreeceMap.jpg

http://www.emersonkent.com/images/an...eece_south.jpg

http://www.grece-bleue.net/cartes/ca...en-450avJC.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboot View Post
    It can be tricky finding good labelled maps of Ancient Greece with the historical names, particularly of the water ways.

Here's three I've found though, which I am pretty sure have the ancient names:

http://www.oxfordtutorials.com/GreeceMap.jpg

http://www.emersonkent.com/images/an...eece_south.jpg

http://www.grece-bleue.net/cartes/ca...en-450avJC.jpg
    Wow, thank you so much for this! That will be very helpful.

Found some other great maps/sources for the map today, and I've decided to go for the first border idea after I found out I could probably expand some of the states in the OP picture a bit, so that they cover most of Greece.

Name:	GreecePeplopnnesianLeague.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	54935
    (League of Peloponnese)

Added most of the cities to the Peloponnese that I wanted, and this is probably the final borders for the Peloponnesian League. Still not sure on how to do regional/internal borders yet, but haven't even started experimenting with that yet.

Oh and don't worry about the text overlapping etc, I will fix that once I add in the city dots.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Borders are still WIP, right?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast