Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: May/June 2013 Lite Challenge Entry: Dying Sea

This is a really cool idea for a map and you've done a great job with it. My only criticism would be the font - I think it looks nice, but kind of detracts from the seriousness of the subject matter. (i.e. it looks look a little kid wrote it)
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

You know, AC, I have always loved that font, and never have I thought it looked like a kid's handwriting...until now, and now that's all I can think about when I look at it. So, I took your criticism to heart and changed it.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aral Sea 4.jpg 
Views:	1399 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	54911

Yeah, don't get me wrong - I really liked the old font (aesthetically) - but I think this new font is more appropriate for the subject matter.
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Especially since I purposely minimized the ornamentation of the map because of the subject matter.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

great subject matter and probably my favourite sea, with the abandoned ships lying on its now-dry shores. great stuff

Looking very nice Wilip.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Apprentice

How do you think the map would look if you labeled your various see levels on the map? I'm thinking something along the lines of how you would label Topo lines on a USGS map.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinoex View Post
    How do you think the map would look if you labeled your various see levels on the map? I'm thinking something along the lines of how you would label Topo lines on a USGS map.
    I'm worried about making the map too busy, buy I will see if I can find that and put it in and see. Great idea.

Ok,

I tried out Vinoex's advice and added the sea levels, I also changed the font in the maps to small caps, hoping to make it a little bit less busy.

1, how does this look now?
    2, does the sea level descriptors make sense? (The sea is still at a higher elevation than global sea level.)

Also, as a little bit more additional trivia: The small island in the western area of the southern sea that later became a larger island and finally a peninsula was called Vozrozhdeniya Island, meaning Rebirth Island. It was home to a research facility working on bioweapons. It's reported that there are still canisters of weaponized anthrax and buobonic plague in the ruins of the town Kantubek.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aral Sea 5.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	55168

Looks very good!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast