Thread: {Texture Source} New Papertextures on CG-Texture

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Default {Texture Source} New Papertextures on CG-Texture

[CG Textures] - Textures for 3D, graphic design and Photoshop!

They have 8 Pages full of awesome Papertextures now new in their collection. Just though I should share this. Everybody can create a free account there and download 15Mb hight res Textures.

Have fun

Do be aware that, while the CG Textures license is extremely generous, it does specifically prohibit use of the textures in work licensed under Creative Commons or other "open source" licenses.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

What does that means? That I cant share or sell maps with it?

It just means that if you use one of those textures, you cannot distribute the resulting map under a Creative Commons (CC) license. You can still do whatever you want with your own work, and the CGTextures license specifically permits selling your work. You can also write your own license for sharing, as long as it does not in any way imply that the source material is free to use.

The restriction comes from clauses in some open source licenses, such as GNU, that require all source material in a licensed work to also be open source. There is no such language in the Creative Commons licenses, but the FAQ on the CG Textures site specifically states that their license is incompatible with CC, so for the purposes of interpreting the license, it is safest to comply with the copyright holder's interpretation.

The unfortunate side-effect of this restriction is that maps with CG Textures imagery in them cannot be included in the Collaborative World-Building Project, because that entire project is bound by a Creative Commons Share-Alike license, which requires that all material based on that information must carry the same license. I withdrew a couple of my maps from the project for that reason, and I still haven't gotten around to replacing the textures so those maps can be re-included. Some day.

There are also a couple of other matters addressed by the license and FAQ, such as restrictions on selling website templates or scrapbooking kits, and special rules concerning 3d models.

Ah, ok, but non of thoses seems to concern to my own use. Which is basicly showing maps for free here, or sell them to commissioners. Or am I wrong? Still have to be carefull in future, thank you for this precise explaination

Nope, you should be safe. Just don't use the textures to make a map construction pack or token set or something like that.

Free Textures from TextureKing is another site with free textures and a generous license, and they don't include that bit about open source licenses, so they're easier to use. They don't have as big a collection, and very few of their textures are as high resolution as you can find at CG Textures, bit it's still a decent resource. I believe there's a sticky thread in the Mapping Resources forum with links to both sites, as well as a few others.

Rep for your helpfull advises!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

also, don't restrict yourselves to the paper textures, the grunge, concrete, plastic, earth, soil and even some barks are great for grunging up a map - set to overlay or multiply and mess about with the opacity!

also dont forget some of the textures they have are tiles - great for using on pattern fills/layer adjustments

i do love cgtexture, hough as a dont havwe a premium membership and like DLing the very high res stuff, i tend to log in every day and make sure i fill my 15mb quota of DLs whether i need stuff or not, that way ive built up a pretty large library of their stuff i can peruse
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 05-25-2013 at 01:48 AM.

yes I tend to forget to logg in. But still already have about 1,5 Gig. Hopefully I will do it regulary now.