Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diffin Strait

Map Diffin Strait

Hey guys, first post here! Awesome thing you've got going here, really. My past map-making endeavors were mostly ripping off maps I found on the web and editing names and minor details for my DnD games... and then yesterday, I found RobA's tutorial on artistic regional maps. Here's what it gave me. I hope you guys like it.

By the way, many, many thanks to RobA. Couldn't have done it without that tutorial, and in any case, doing this has made me much better with Gimp then how I ever was with photoshop, which I used before. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh, another thing: could this map be used anywhere for the CWBP?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map Diffin Straitcopy.jpg 
Views:	912 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	4621  
    Last edited by A. Smith; 06-25-2008 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Smith View Post
    Hey guys, first post here! Awesome thing you've got going here, really. My past map-making endeavors were mostly ripping off maps I found on the web and editing names and minor details for my DnD games... and the yesterday, I found RobA's tutorial on artistic regional maps. Here's what it gave me. I hope you guys like it.

By the way, many, many thanks to RobA. Couldn't have done it without that tutorial, and in any case, doing this has made me much better with Gimp then how I ever was with photoshop, which I used before. Thanks!

Welcome to the guild A. Smith! That's pretty nice for your first attempt, and we ALL thank RobA for all the time he has taken to product tutorial after tutorial after tutorial....etc Be sure to give him (and other people if you find stuff you like) rep for it. RobA is one of the result GIMP gods here... Also, you may want to look around as a few people (including Rob himself) have done some various tweaks on the techniques used and come up with some even better techniques.

And finally, post more maps soon. Post early post, often is the motto around here. Oh yea, the other motto is post bigger, higher res images.

btw, I really like your legends. very simple, yet effective. Nice font, what is that?

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yeah, I know it should have been larger, but I wanted to start small. I realized later I didn't have much space for the legend, title, scale and compass... I had to make them fit in smaller then I'd have liked. Notably, Under the title and year, I wanted to put something like "Given as a gift as proof of good intent to His Sublime Majesty, Heron IV". Ah well, in another map, perhaps...

The font is "rage italic"; I'm pretty sure it's a standard font.
    Last edited by A. Smith; 06-25-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Smith View Post
    Hey guys, first post here! Awesome thing you've got going here, really. My past map-making endeavors were mostly ripping off maps I found on the web and editing names and minor details for my DnD games... and the yesterday, I found RobA's tutorial on artistic regional maps. Here's what it gave me. I hope you guys like it.

Thanks A.Smith for the kind donation to the CWBP. I'm sure we will find a good home for it. Great map by the way. Man, I think RobA has converted more people to the Gimp than Pulp Fiction.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Man, I think RobA has converted more people to the Gimp than Pulp Fiction.

Torq
    Heh... yea. his tut is getting like 1000+ views EVERY month and thats like amazing....

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome aboard. The CWBP is just that COMMUNITY World builder project. Do as much or as little. Maps do not need to be all the same style or even with the same software.

See an area you like? Want to try a new technique? Go for it, your new style/endeavor will build upon what has come before and in turn, you will inspire someone else.

For example, on your map above, maybe someone looks at the towns of Lydas and and Seradas and thinks to themselves. There a story there. Why is there two towns across from each other, seperated by any a couple of miles/kilometers? Why is one bigger than the other? How do they feel about each other? If they are accepting of one another, maybe the towns are more open, but what if they aren't, what if there is resentment between the two towns. Maybe they have walls bristling with defenses pointed towards one another moreso than the plains at their backs. Maybe they have huge naval yards crammed with warships ready to repel the frequent sorties of their neighbour. MMmmmmmmmmmm Creative Juices!

Man you just earned some rep for my ponderings.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Heh, thanks

My question about the CWBP was mostly about geography: is there anywhere where this would fit on the map? From what I've seen, there isn't a single strait on the map... heh.

Also, working on something right now. 1000x1000, this time. Anything other then cramp-ness and the resolution being too low that I should improve on?

Wip

Here it is, in all it's WIP glory. Tips?

EDIT: hmm, should I create a new post in the WIP section? This is the finished map section, after all...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map Ehlon river WIP.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	4638  
    Last edited by A. Smith; 06-25-2008 at 11:25 PM.

Guild Journeyer

Nice maps A. Smith! You got those mountains just right, I like them a lot! Just one technical question, how did you make those river/sea routes in your first map? They are very interesting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast