Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: May/June 2013 Lite Challenge Entry: The fall of the pirate queen.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Hurm, weird... But it is a bit funky to me too when I try reloading the page... Never fear; I shall try uploading the picture again...

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The fall of the pirate queen.png 
Views:	196 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	54933

What do you guys think? Maybe a bit too dark now, right? It's masking the actual shadows... Although, I guess I could always increase their opacity...

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think that looks pretty good. There is still a sense of "depth" to it and it's pretty murky (which I always like) you might try to lower the opacity of the shadow layer n various places for a less "homogeneous" result. This is really coming along nicely
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I don't know, does it really make sense, baring actual illumination, for the darkness to be heterogeneous?
    It'd seem to me that we'd have a base level of darkness that is being pushed back surrounding the fires and lights? Or am I misunderstanding something?

I agree with JT and I think what we're getting at is that there should be a more gradual shift from light to dark (and since you have a bunch of light sources, you'll have less spots that are very dark).

But - this is all really nit-picking....it looks great regardless.
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anomiecoalition View Post
    I agree with JT and I think what we're getting at is that there should be a more gradual shift from light to dark (and since you have a bunch of light sources, you'll have less spots that are very dark).

But - this is all really nit-picking....it looks great regardless.
    Absolutley great. I just offer advice from one that has struggled with lighting in the past.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Thanks guy.

What I tried is to actually create two layers of shadows, just one with bigger "holes" in there (not sure if I am clear) So, instead of one border to the shadows, I have two. That way, I can divide the opacity between them and still get an ok darkness with a less jarring effect.

While I was at it, I added some light reflections on part of some of the shield and the hoop from the floating barrel that is still out of the water.
    Honestly, I don't know how much it add to the map, I have to mask the layers to see where these reflections actually fall... But, well, I know they are here...

Anyway, time for a...
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	131 
Size:	3.27 MB 
ID:	54953

This is really coming together now Simon - good work. The only part of the map I am not super-thrilled about are the faded-out wall cave shadows in the top left corner. Everything else I love very much.

Good catch. I proceeded buiseness as usual for the wall dropshadows, but it'd make sense for the torch light to affect these too. I think I will have to restart this layer from scratch. Thanks for the advice.

Ok, there it comes.

I subtracted the light gradient from the dropshadows before blurring them...

That way, there are no shadows directly under the lamp, which should make sense...

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	82 
Size:	3.13 MB 
ID:	54985

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast