Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: May/June 2013 Lite Challenge Entry: The fall of the pirate queen.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Default May/June 2013 Lite Challenge Entry: The fall of the pirate queen.

Sorry about my last arrival but, I was busy with several other projects, which explains why I didn't think about checking this section of the forums until yesterday.

Anyway, I like nautical stuff and it gives me a good motivation to get of my butt and realize a map I have been thinking of for a while...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The fall of the pirate queen.png 
Views:	34935 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	54891

I still have a fair bit of work doing the shadows, one of the main reasons I wanted to make this map in the first place, and I'd like to work on the light effects, casting reflections on the object and some of the water...

We'll see how it turns out.

I am also not sure that I like the docking/ mooring of the ships... might need some work there...

And I like the light effects, thanks again Jacktannery, but the edges seem a bit sharp...

Pirate's cave, always a good subject !!!

And don't worry about late arrival, this challenge runs until June 15th, I'm just getting started today.
    Last edited by Bogie; 05-26-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Don't know what software you are using but a radial gradient on a mask over the lighting effect layer would soften the effect and look more "Realistic" !! If it is a "Outer glow" effect than you can use a gradient inside the effect. Looks good so far .
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Looking nice so far. Don't forget to put

### Latest WIP ###

in front of each attachment, or they won't be picked up by the thumbnail scraper and folks won't be able to see your picture (easily) when voting time rolls around.

Capital adviece! Thanks Diamond.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really like the "feel" of this. I have a couple of "nitpicks" that you should feel free to ignore if you so wish. I'm not sure of the scale of this but the details of your docks seems rather large (IE the "wormwood" details) now it could very well be that in this setting wood worms are monstrous and fearsome creatures that create great furrows in wood as they devour it. I would also agree with a bit of "haze" over the lighting. A great start and a worthy entry !!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Well, clearly, they are purple woodworms...

Nah, I went and tried to fix that.

I also added shadows on the object and water and tried to fuzzy the light effects a bit...

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The fall of the pirate queen.png 
Views:	139 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	54929
    Last edited by Simon33600; 05-27-2013 at 03:53 PM.

This is really cool. My favorite part is the ship that's half under water. Lots of neat details going on here. My only suggestion would be to up the contrast overall a bit (but that's largely personal taste).
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

That can be arranged... I am just worried about getting things too dark. It might have to do with the setting on my monitor but I have done map before that seemed ok, if dark, on my screen and were really darker, borderline impairing visibility, once printed...

Anyway, what do you think of this?

### Latest WIP ###
    Attachment 54930
    Last edited by Simon33600; 05-27-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can't see the latest wip. Overall I really like this
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast