Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Man Danvers' Farm (Hi, I'm new here!)

Wip Old Man Danvers' Farm (Hi, I'm new here!)

Like many folks, I'm working up a 4th Edition game world. I've been working with Campaign Cartographer 3-- I'm sure you could tell.

Anyhow, the hook is that when Old Man Danvers finally decided to clear out that ridiculously sized boulder on his farm, he found... stairs.

I'm still learning CC3-- this is basically the second map I've done. I need to do some work to make the fields look like, well, fields instead of a large green blob of blob-- it might be smarter to pick up GIMP for that part instead of continue to search around in CC3. (That said, given what I've found so far, it seems if I dig far enough I can get CC3 to make breakfast for me...)

Click to embiggen

Detail on the farmhouse:

Last edited by jdf; 06-25-2008 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Crunched images to thumbnails.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I laughed at that blob of blob part 'cuz I remember those days well. I guffawed at the breakfast comment and I spit soda all over myself when I got to "embiggen"...too funny. Keep at it but don't feel pressured, you have a good foundation and that's what matters. At first, I thought old man danvers had planted people head down in his field until I zoomed in and saw they were horses, silly me, but now I wanna do something spooky like the movie Motel Hell. Keep up the good work.

Your map has sooooooo much promise. Do not give up so easily on CC3. It can do so much if you just play with it, tinker with it, experiment with it.

If you would be willing to email me the map at neonknight@telus.net I will show you what can be done with your map with only a few flourishes.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I laughed at that blob of blob part 'cuz I remember those days well. I guffawed at the breakfast comment and I spit soda all over myself when I got to "embiggen"...too funny. Keep at it but don't feel pressured, you have a good foundation and that's what matters. At first, I thought old man danvers had planted people head down in his field until I zoomed in and saw they were horses, silly me, but now I wanna do something spooky like the movie Motel Hell. Keep up the good work.
    Heh. I was actually a little worried about that-- I stuck mostly with the cc/dd3 style symbols, which are a very different style from the older cc2/dd2 symbols, but I didn't find a horse in the cc3 stuff, so I decided the older one was close enough.

Of course, what I was worried about was that they wouldn't fit in, not that they wouldn't look like horses. From my perspective, they were obviously horses; that's what they were labeled in the symbol set! On the other hand, that's exactly why I posted it here...

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Your map has sooooooo much promise. Do not give up so easily on CC3. It can do so much if you just play with it, tinker with it, experiment with it.

If you would be willing to email me the map at neonknight@telus.net I will show you what can be done with your map with only a few flourishes.
    Thanks! I'm not planning on giving up on CC3-- I wouldn't have a map without it. I do wonder, though, if some of the post-processing effects wouldn't be easier in some other tools. Most likely because I haven't found what I'm looking for yet. There's an insane amount of power here, and so far, it's been flexible enough that I haven't thought of anything I want to do that it can't handle.

I did find exactly the tool I _should_ have used to create the great green blobs-- I used a "contour" tool (which, obviously was not the right tool for the job) because I hadn't found the "Outside, grass" tool under the Dungeon CC3 styles. Now I gotta figure out how to select just that layer and change its style, which will be a project for this evening.

I will take you up on that offer, but I'm going to sort out a few things first. I have some ideas of what I want to do and what I want it to look like but when all's said and done, it's still going to look like a n00b's map because that's what I am. Once I've got it where I want it to go, I'd like to see what a veteran does with it so I can tell where the differences are between what I do and what other folks do. This way, not only does the map improve, but in theory, so do I.

OK, sounds good. Because CC3's new sheet effects are quite powerful that one really does not need to do any out of program work (though I have seen people do so and make nice maps).

As an example see the attached city map I am almost finished doing (is one every really finished with a map?) The first shows the map without the sheet effects, the second shows the map with the sheet effects on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deestan1.JPG 
Views:	247 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	4654   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deestan.JPG 
Views:	298 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	4655  

MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Did ProFantasy ever get the antialiasing filter for image exports done? It would be nice not to have to export at high resolution and then filter the image down to get rid of the jagged edges. Sure, it's just blur 0.7 pixel radius, resize, then unsharp mask 0.7 radius. But it's the principal of the thing, making me work harder than I think I ought to have to...

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Did ProFantasy ever get the antialiasing filter for image exports done? It would be nice not to have to export at high resolution and then filter the image down to get rid of the jagged edges. Sure, it's just blur 0.7 pixel radius, resize, then unsharp mask 0.7 radius. But it's the principal of the thing, making me work harder than I think I ought to have to...
    I'm not sure....mostly cause what you are talking is Greek to me Now, if we were talking packet loss across an ATM Network and Burst Rates, and BINs for ADSL versus ADSL 2+ and 6Meg, well, then I might understand

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    The answer appears to be "no"-- either that or I simply don't have it turned on, possibly because I'm having to export as a bitmap and then crunch to png afterward, as the png exporter in CC3 doesn't appear to generate a standards-compliant png. (They may or may not be using a built in Windows or .NET library; I do not know). I can't get a png generated by cc3 to display in on my Mac in either Firefox or Preview.

I don't mind exporting and resizing-- I generally use ImageMagick to do that sort of thing easily and quickly (and given that it looks like ImageMagick ships with cc3, I may well be able to build appropriate cc3 scripting to do it all automagically on export, but I'm a good ways away from trying a stunt like that), but it does bother me a little that the png generator seems b0rken.

Returning to Old Man Danvers and his farm, I put the stream in that I was meaning to do, and did a little texture work on the two green blobs-- right now they're two different textures, as I'm trying to decide which I like best-- and the answer may well be "neither." I'm trying to avoid turning both brown and putting in rows of thousands of little shrub symbols, though.

I also have not yet found a scarecrow symbol.

You could do as I do. Save as PNG and then just resave the PNG in another program.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast