With the 110th Map of the Week we take a look at the Drunken Apprentice Tavern in the town center of Slovanian North Junction.
Owner and barkeep Vařinec, a 42-year-old human male commoner, named this public house after himself. More than 20 years ago, Master Miller Ambro× threw Vařinec out as an apprentice miller in the Northflood Grain Mill. The reason was that Vařinec regularly returned to the mill somewhat inebriated after the noon lunch break and then tended to fall asleep on the job.
Within a week after losing his apprentice's job, Vařinec inherited the tavern from his father, who died unexpectedly. Rather than becoming a miller, Vařinec decided to be a barkeep. Despite the fact that he always has a bit of a buzz, he runs the Drunken Apprentice successfully. Vařinec's customers are almost exclusively artisans, apprentices and common laborers who work in the town center. He has the support of the town's master artisans, because ľ in agreement with them ľ he keeps the tavern closed during the noon hour.
At 18 bells in the evening (6 p.m.), when the workday ends, customers quickly fill the tavern. The masters, journeymen and common laborers who have wives at home usually leave after a tankard or two. Those who are single tend to stay until later in the night, when drunken apprentices from various shops make their way at last to bed. Vařinec works the tap, serving lager beer from the Island Inn brewery across the street at three copper pieces per pint/half-liter tankard.
Shortly before opening hour, his wife, Aneta, a 39-year-old human female commoner, buys dark rye bread from Diana's Bakery and cold cuts from Bořek's Butcher Shop. She then makes bread boards, adding butter and dill pickles. The bread boards sell for a bronze piece each. There is no table service. One needs to go to the tap to get a lager beer and to the pantry window to buy a bread board. Vařinec and Aneta are childless. They live in an apartment on the tavern's second story.
2. Rear Door.
4. Double Woodburning Stoves.
5. Main Door.
6. Beer Tap. There is no table service. Customers need to go to the tap to buy a beer or get a refill. Vařinec works the tap. The stairway leads to Vařinec's and Aneta's apartment on the second story (not mapped).
7. Trap Door to Cellar Storage area (not mapped).
8. Pantry Serving Window. There is no table service. Customers who want to buy a bread board need to come to the window and purchase one from Aneta.
You can get this floor plan in two versions:
1. The Fractal Mapper (TM) 8 version in FMP format, fully editable, from our J÷rgar web page (7.1 MB).
2. As a JPG flat map of 3000 Pixels x 2310 Pixels (2.4 MB), available above.
Both versions are released for personal and commercial use under the Open Game License Version 1.0a, which you can read on the J÷rgar website at:
The J÷rgar World
Next week: Island Inn
The Vintyri (TM) Project