Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piohok - Ice bound village

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Wip Piohok - Ice bound village

Well, I am once more gonna try to finish a map....

Those who have been here long enough, MAY remember my the odd couple of maps that I have started but never got close to finishing...Well, here is yet another attempt to get a map completed....

I had this idea for a race of icebound Northmen who raid the southern peoples for the couple of months that their ports are open. I had this idea ever since I read WotC's Frostburn and figured out how these guys would build their houses (dug out of the rocky ground with low eaves and walls of stone) on areas close to an iced in shore where the winds have laid the rock bare of ice, or at exposed some of the rock.

Anyhoot, I was just fiddling around with Gimp and came up with something that brought all that back to the for-brain. So tinkering around a but more I came up with this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pionhok.png 
Views:	197 
Size:	3.73 MB 
ID:	54914

This is just the beginnings with a small harbour to the left and just above the "point", where a lighthouse type structure is going to go. You will (I hope) notice the exposed rocky areas and the houses are going to go in the places where there are "flatter" areas. I DO need to figure out how to DO the housing though so that might take a while...

C&C are always welcome so don't be shy.
    Last edited by Korash; 05-26-2013 at 11:33 PM.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

So I found some houses that I think could work, with a bit of work to make them match the terrain, in the Mapping Elements forum here. They were made by Bogie and then modded by Neyjour.

Here it is with some of the buildings in a sort of village layout. not too sure on the scale yet, and I still need to cover the buildings with ice and snow.

Name:	Pionhok1.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	3.92 MB 
ID:	54915
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

And here is the village with the buildings under a cover of ice and snow (some more than others). So, what do you guys think...Too blue maybe?

Name:	Pionhok2.png 
Views:	148 
Size:	4.69 MB 
ID:	54920

At first it was hard to make out, but now that you've shown the buildings I see where you're going with it. Is very cool

I like it, my only qualm is the sharpness of some of the noise, maybe you should add a 0.5 Gaussian blur, or something?
    Last edited by eViLe_eAgLe; 05-27-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks really good. I like the concept. I would agree with EE that the snow is a bit "sharp". I look forward to watching this progress.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Okay, I think this is an improvement on the snow sharpness, and I added some of Bogie's boats (beached for the winter) along with some "sheds" for the boats masts and other tackle storage. Not too sure about leaving the boats out in the elements, but I was thinking about the possibility of the villagers converting from sea faring boats to icerunners with pontoons added once the ice was thick enough.

A few other tweeks added which I forgot already. So ...what y'all think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pionhok3.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	55054  

Nice work Korash!

It looks better now, some of the features are more visible. Which is the main problem with snow maps. Snow blankets everything. =P

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks great !! I think unless the boats are in danger of some sort of natural (or UN natural) disaster leaving them outside is not a problem. Perhaps they are used for extra storage during the iced up period? Anyway this is very good
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast