Thread: New Map: Kessa and Surrounding Territories.

Default New Map: Kessa and Surrounding Territories.

Hey all!

After my success with the Danderval map, I thought i'd try my hand at it's neighboring country, Kessa.

Kessa is a country of bandits, intrigue and slavery, hidden under a layers of bribes and beautiful cities. The core of Kessa is a wasteland, a dry unforgiving wasteland created when a mad warmage called the very stars from the sky. The rest of the country is grassland and deep forest, the latter of which is full of man eating fae.

For this map I experimented with fonts and also brought the burn tool into play to create a better looking wasteland. I also used it to make a dirtier texture for the southern, volcanic mountains.

As usual, comments and criticisms are more than welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kessa Complete First Draft.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	54973

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks really good and I love the story. My only comment is that it's a bit confusing to figure out what is going on on the southern part of the map. I realize that you haven't detailed that as the center of the map is the focus but it almost looks like the southern end is more wasteland than the section you labeled wasteland. That's really just a nitpick and this is very good. Keep it up (oh and have some rep )
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected york84109's Avatar

Glad to see a map with a story!

It would be better if the ocean is another color. It's a little hard to tell land and sea at first look.

May I ask, are you Japanese or Chinese? I notice the words of "Map made by loneliness and dragon" on the bottom left.

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    Looks really good and I love the story. My only comment is that it's a bit confusing to figure out what is going on on the southern part of the map. I realize that you haven't detailed that as the center of the map is the focus but it almost looks like the southern end is more wasteland than the section you labeled wasteland. That's really just a nitpick and this is very good. Keep it up (oh and have some rep )
    Thanks for the great feedback!

Yeah the "blank" areas of the map are other countries. I took inspiration from maps such as this. http://www.imperial-library.info/sit...x_cyrodiil.jpg . I did so to draw more focus in on the center piece, but being a narrow, slightly curved country, it forced the shape of it over all. However once all the maps are done for this region, i'll piece them together into one piece, hopefully with more cohesion than this!

And thanks for the rep!

Quote Originally Posted by york84109 View Post
    Glad to see a map with a story!

It would be better if the ocean is another color. It's a little hard to tell land and sea at first look.

May I ask, are you Japanese or Chinese? I notice the words of "Map made by loneliness and dragon" on the bottom left.
    The map's end purpose is for a novel i'm writing actually. Which may well turn into a roleplay setting if my partner in crime finishes the language section some time this year

I've toyed with the idea of giving the ocean more defining features. The problem i'm having right now is choosing the right level of colour opacity to keep it from becoming too bold. Watch this space though and if you have any suggestions i'd be really happy to hear them

Oh, i'm English and apologize thoroughly for my terrible Japanese. It's meant to say "Fox and Dragon Cartography". The best map maker in the land in this setting comes from an analogue of feudal Japan. While I love writing calligraphy, I only have the might of the internet to teach me what things mean! I don't suppose you know how to write it?

Guild Novice Facebook Connected york84109's Avatar

Oops, I mistook "Fox(狐)" for "Loneliness(孤)", I apologize for that.

As you can see that I'm Taiwanese, so Traditional Chinese is my first language.
    I'm learning Japanese as well because I have a passion for Japanese manga.

By the way, I can't wait to see how your setting will go!
    Last edited by york84109; 05-30-2013 at 11:37 AM.