Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Globes of Earth during 6 eras (commission)

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Default Globes of Earth during 6 eras (commission)

Hey folks Here's what I've been working on lately. It's a set of globes, commissioned by Richard Garriott, depicting our planet through the ages. With a pretty long perspective. They will be used at Richard's paleontology exhibition in either New York or Austin, to illustrate the time periods that the displayed fossils and findings come from. Visitors will apparently be allowed to pick the globes up to look at them from every direction in their own hands, which sounds like a fun idea to me.

I painted the globes with acrylics on wooden spheres, 15cm/6" in diameter, and outlined the continents with an ink pen. I have loads of photos, don't want to fill up the server space though so here are one view of each globe, with a few extra angles on the one that shows the modern world. Can put up more if you guys want, and I'll make a complete gallery of it on my website (which is currently a bit chaotic, don't visit at the moment )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1a.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	75673Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1b.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	75674Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1c.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	75675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1g.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	75676

Dinosaur world!

Name:	2b.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	75677

Older dinosaur world!

Name:	3a.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	75678

Ancient supercontinents Pannotia, Rodinia and Columbia are in the attachment box below (I hope!)

This was very cool to work on, and I'm thrilled to finally have a start on a portfolio of globes. It's something I really want to expand into. It was also great to discuss with another Guild member (who can step forward when she wants to), who taught me a lot about our planet's ancient history while working on her own set of globes, so Richard has one set at each exhibition.

These are not meant to be perfectly accurate, as that was not a requirement from Richard's side. I was allowed to quite freely interpret the theories about how Earth looked, so a geologist would probably have a thing or two to say about my designs Their primary purposes are to give an idea of how much our world has changed, to illustrate the immense time periods that have passed, and to be a fun little detail for the visitors. I think they work
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4a.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	75679   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5a.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	75680   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6a.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	75681  

Guild Novice

This is awesome! Excellent work.

Nicely done Lingon.
    And congrats on a very cool commission.

Those are spectacular Lingon! Wow. That's impressive. I definitely want to see more angles of view on these and, sometime, perhaps you could share a run-through of the experience with your process of making them?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

Can only agree with the others. Excellent work Lingon! I really like the subtle coloring/blending

Yes congrats and these are looking great. Wish I could hold one.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Apprentice

Wow! How did you project the world map in order to make such accurate drawings?

Those are all really awesome! Fantastic work!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Richard Garriott! That's a really cool commission. You know, in his Ultima II you could travel through time and the continents would change. These globes look great, and it's just so cool that you got to work with such a legend!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

These are awesome Lingon, I had to do 2D drawings of the time periods from the Cambrian through the paleocene at the natural history musuem I worked for, should have done 3D instead. I've also seen some nice animations of the continental drift as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grMwSU8ZZis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast