Thread: Old School Mega-dungeon - C1: The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

Guild Novice

Default Old School Mega-dungeon - C1: The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

Please be gentle it's my first time lol!

I made this old school Gary Gygax AD&D mega dungeon of C1: The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan after finding that they revamped it and converted it to 4e (Dungeon #209).

I used Photoshop for the whole thing and made heavy use of the tutorials as well as styles and pattern presets I got from Dr. Zuess at http://www.drzeuss.co.uk/ and the tutorials located here 4e D&D Tactical Mapping - RPG Virtual Tabletop

I feel like they came out pretty well considering it's my first foray into mapping of any kind.

The objects are from the Dunkinni CUSAC as well as other publicly available art I shamelessly leeched =)

I took some liberties with some of it as i run a Dark Sun campaign so some of the things like dragons and octopus don't fit.

Even though I don't plan to make any changes to these maps feedback is welcome and appreciated. Enjoy!

For those that aren't familiar it's a Ziggurat/Pyramid style dungeon with the adventure actually beginning on the underground Tier 1 and they have to make their way out of the only exit at the top of the Ziggurat on Tier 3.

Tier1 Composite (low res for visualization only)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HiddenShrine-FirstTier-composite.jpg 
Views:	2060 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	54980

Tier 2

Name:	HiddenShrine-SecondTier-nogrid.jpg 
Views:	1315 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	54981

Tier 3

Name:	HiddenShrine-ThirdTier-nogrid.jpg 
Views:	980 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	54982
    Last edited by Invictys; 01-12-2014 at 04:53 PM.

Hey not bad at all. The colors are nice and the textures are well chosen. I would like to see the map with a grid, but that's a small thing. Overall pretty nice job, and welcome to the Guild!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice

Thanks for the feedback, I do have a version with grid, I use virtual tabletop that places the grid for me so I didn't think to include the gridded version.

I updated the post to include a download link to the high res images as well as the gridded version.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great !! I love the feel of this. Welcome to the Guild and have some rep for a great first post
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I second the motion, very nicely done map. I like how you did the walls, they have a nice feeling of depth to them.
    Excellent first map, many people don't reach this level let alone start there, so some Rep from me to!

Guild Novice

Thanks Bogie, pretty sure I used a few of your objects from the Dunjinni forums! Your contributions are much appreciated.

As for the walls, I agree I think they look really nice. I'd love to take credit but they're part of the preset styles Dr. Zeuss created. Same goes for the textures themselves.

This is great Invictys - good job.

hello, great map - I did not see the download link for the gridded version though - did I miss it, or can you post it?

Guild Adept Facebook Connected jpstod's Avatar

I love Revamping old Maps into usable VTT and Digital Versions
    Welcome aboard
    The Wayward Traveler
    Guildmaster Galveston Island Adventurer's Guild
    http://jpstodwftexas.deviantart.com
    http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...?term=John+Pau
    [url]http://www.patreon.com/TheWaywardTraveler[url]