Thread: Words from the "Wandering Cartographer"...

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Praise Words from the "Wandering Cartographer"...

The old cartographer stood in the center of the meeting hall and smiled at old friends and new members. There were so many fresh young faces and unwrinkled eyes now. His heart swelled with the thought of all the talent and all the possibilities in this room. He stood a bit closer to the fire to warm old bones grown brittle from so many years and so much travel. He thought back to all the places he had seen and all the maps he had created. To be sure he was a map maker first and an artist second. There were many of his friends who could bring a tear to the eye from their beautiful work. He had always been fascinated with the story behind the places he mapped. The city wall built to protect from raging Orcs, the tavern mostly mundane but built by an ex-adventurer to fill his last years with story. The great castle where drama and intrigue were as thick as Southrun mead. He had seen much in his years and still had so much to see...so much....

If you've been here for any length of time you know I tend to wander in and out. My inspiration comes and goes (as I suspect is the case with most of us) My head it seems can only contain so much and then I have to go out and "fill it up" again. Motivation is both my ally and worst enemy, there are spans of time when I can map like crazy for months and then *poof* All anyone hears is the sound of my boots striding out the door. I truly love this community for all the support,encouragement and help that we provide. In a world of bitterness,anger and disenchantment, it is so nice to be able to come here and feel "at home". I have been a member of this wonderful community for almost 3 years now and when I look back at some of my earliest work I find it hard to believe how far I have come. I could not have done that without the gracious, kind (and often amusing) feedback I have received here. For any new members who may be hesitant to post for fear of ridicule I say: FEAR NOT !! This is the finest example of people sharing a common love and a common interest. We all love maps and we all want to make the best maps we can. I cannot thank everyone enough for everything you have all done for me. There is much to see and much to map......

John Tougas
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Here here, well said. Although at your first words, and knowing how you do things, I was afraid you were saying goodbye. This is a great place though, and that's besides all the cool maps.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Ah the words of a poet...or at least a wordsmith You can sometimes build a world with words, as well as in a map I see.

The opening paragraph almost brought a tear to the eye. Seriously. Well said.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

One of the biggest assets of the Cartographer's Guild is the huge huge knowledge base the people here collectively have, one outward expression of which is the tutorials forum, as well as general feedback, inspiration from past maps and such. Then there are random links and other tangential knowledge people have regarding mapping.

Even a person completely new to mapping and the programs used can come here and make use of all of that if they wish, and produce wonderful looking maps.

Also I like the friendly atmosphere. I haven't encountered any vitriol on this forum. And even if someone's skill level at mapping is at an early stage, no one is going to say "it sucks", they will simply tell you how to make it better.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Here here, well said. Although at your first words, and knowing how you do things, I was afraid you were saying goodbye. This is a great place though, and that's besides all the cool maps.
    Well now my friend am I THAT transparent No not goodbye only thank you.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.