Thread: Idumæ Dtål Tarra

Map Idumæ Dtål Tarra

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Idumæ Dtål Tarra.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	417.1 KB 
ID:	54992

Ok, so this is a map that I have been working on for my Fantasy Setting for a VERY long time (about 5years now, could never really get it to look or function the way I wanted it too).

The name of the world is Idumæ Dtål Tarra.

Culturaly, it has alot of the elements of earth culture, religion, ethnocentric points of view and governmental systems from the classical and medieval eras of human history.

The world itself is about 25K miles in diameter.

It has a Four year seasonal cycle, 2 suns/ 1 Blue, 1 Red (the colors a slight tints and hardley noticeable; but it does play into the climate as the red is not as hot as the blue)
    The planet itself is not on an axial tilt, thus the seasons come from the gradual eclipsing of the two Suns (when both are present, it is a mild season (autumn or spring) when only the red one is present it is winter, and the blue eclipsing the red, the blue is a tad smaller but hotter and closer at the point, it is a summer. The rotation of the stars in the middle of the solar system in all is a 4 year cycle, making seasons last about 9 months to a Year and a half (summers and winters a little longer than the spring and fall seasons).

The worlds overall climate is temperate with rain forests in the more northern and southern parts of the world and savahna and deserts near the equator (also trying to account for mountain shadow effect as well).

The primary (Larger) continent is Dtrinæistiir. Houses standard Indo/European cultures as well as north african, aryan and semetic cultures. The smaller continent (in the east) is Xiadia, it houses the far east cultures (before the Buddist influences from India).

The southern continent Yulrim Tamos, its completely freezes over whith Ice and Snow in the winter, but is a vibrant boreal forest in the summer.

The Small Subcontinent between Dtrinæistiir and Xiadia in the northern hemisphere is Årkhesh. It is home to the Årkh Ünn (commonly reffered to as orks and ogres/depending on breed, by Humanity). The small island at the northrn pole, which, like Yulrim Tamos, freezes completely over in the winter, but in the summer it is a barren waste.

I have names for all of the mountain ranges (as well as specific peaks), prominent rivers/river systems, small and large islands, cultural groups, nations, religions, deities, a full beastiary as well as complete magic systems.

The one thing I am lacking at this point, is a good looking satellite version of the map, just not sure I want to spend the next 5 years working on it

Your map seems pretty good but the small size of your picture make it hard to see details. You want to make a satelite version ? I am usure of what you want to improve.
    I have been working on my campaing world since 5 years or so too, yes it's a long process.

I like the idea of having two suns but life is only possible under certain conditions if you want to stay realisitc, here for more information Creating an Earthlike Planet (If I where paid to reference him, I think I would be rich soon enough )

About stars : Stellar classification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Blue: it could be a (blue) white dwarf, wich mean that it's really hot but cooling rapidly so it would make a huge drop in temprerature on the system over a couple of century only and then become colder and colder. This kind of star would also mean that another star was there before because withe dwarf don't form like main sequece star (like the sun). So you would need anoter star that had previously collapsed. Some way or another, this would have killed all life. But white dwarf, after some time become really stable and can live for billions of yers , it's not known presisly how long. But since they are small (like even smaller than the moon) and because the get colder, life is only possible near the star. So you planet must have formed near the actual star wich is possible but unlikely.

It could be a main sequence blue star but it would be massive and massive star have shorter lives usually less than 1 billion year. That is too short for life to develop. They also thend to be less stable. To say simply the main sequence stars are name that way because it's the it's defined by the initial nuclear reaction. Other categories of star have different nuclear fusion.

I can't be a giant, it's like previous one but worse

For the red one: it can't be a dwarf since red is colder. And again massive stars are out.
    So what you want is either a K star: K-type main-sequence star - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia wich is in fact orange but the difference from your planet would be impossible to notice. Or a red dwarf, M class (still on the main sequence) Red dwarf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Life with a colder star seems impossible due to some issues. K stars are like the sun but a little smaller and colder, so the plant neeed to be closer. With the M star it's even closer, so close in fact that you planet may be locked, It mean that there would be no night/day cycle and probably no life at all.

To sum up, the best would be to have an old system with a withe dwarf having a k star (or M star) orbiting around it (with the center near the most massive star) or of equal masses so check the first link to make sure the binary systme is stable. Otherwise your planet will get ejected or will enter in collision with one of the star. There is a good star simulator on steam if you are interested : Universe Sandbox Universe Sandbox on Steam

I liked the idea of not just having seasons but cycles too after reading about the causes of the Great Famine of 1315–17 and Game of Thrones with it's irregular seasons. The best thing would be a binary star system I guess. It's a cool idea.