Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: On hadron colliders, dark matter and black holes

Sweet! Going out with a bang is always a good idea.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Sorry for relative silence recently - in the middle of 2 international moves and a wedding, will be posting more regularly during October when I have internet in new home in NY!

New study out relatively recently on LHC safety: http://arxiv.org/abs/0806.3414.

My favourite quote from the abstract:
    "Any microscopic black holes produced at the LHC are expected to decay by Hawking radiation before they reach the detector walls." (my emphasis)

So that's okay then

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So...are you moving to NY because you have a new job not working on the LHC or are you moving to NY because you're fleeing the imminent danger of a black hole sucking in all of EU?
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

New job, still working with the on dark matter at the LHC. You lot funded it too I'll be at NYU for one year for sure and hopefully a couple more. I guess I'll be doing some teaching at NYU as well as research. Should be fun! Though knowing my luck NY will stand up to its Hollywood reputation of being ground zero for most major disasters and the New York collider - RHIC (Relativistic heavy Ion Collider) - will produce a black hole from colliding gold atoms....

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

congrats on the move and job and all that.... travel safe and hurry up with the maps you know we all can't wait for your next big map

Looks like all systems are a go: http://news.zdnet.com/2424-9595_22-217914.html
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Looks like all systems are a go: http://news.zdnet.com/2424-9595_22-217914.html
    "I got a baaad feeling about this..."

First star wars quote has been noted @ 1:20 pm Sep 2, 08

Any Black Holes or rips in the space-time continuum yet?
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Not yet, but then they just* sent a small bunch of protons a hop skip and a jump around the ring - 3km of a possible 27km. No collisions yet. The test was done to see whether the little ring (the SPS) could throw a bunch of protons into the bigger ring without the bigger ring fumbling the catch. Now think how much difficulty the American relay teams had doing this stuff last week (yes, the Brits screwed it up too, but I can't say I expected much more...) and this one has to be done with sub-microsecond precision. That was definitely a non-trivial manoeuvre and they deserve a lot of credit for managing it first time.

It'll be interesting to track the large number of 'End of the World!' stories as a function of how close we get to the LHC start next week (note that there will be no collisions for a while, and they will be low energy when they start).

Here's my first contribution:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...d-halt-it.html

If you get any, post them here.

*For a given value of 'just'

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    So do whack jobs like that get stripped of their scientist badge or anything? I mean I have to think that everything you've pointed out thus far is in the scientific norm and can't understand how anyone calling themselves a scientist wouldn't know this stuff. Maybe I'm missing something?

Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast