Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: On hadron colliders, dark matter and black holes

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Not having read Mist (or seen the resulting film), I just assumed Torstan was going to give us a map of the array so that others might be able to game out a scenario in which the unpredicted results of these experiments causes tiny tears into extradimensional space, allowing the unspeakable horrors that live beyond our consciousness to slowly leak into our world, which is slowly torn assunder by the unknowable forces at their disposal until, eventually, the entire planet is a ravaged, desiccated husk wherein all of humanity has been consumed by the otherwordly things except those scientists and sundry others still holed up at the CERN facility which, ironically, is the only surviving bastion of life and civilization.

Those last few survivors would be fighting for their lives, struggling to find a way to reverse the flow of extradimensional energy and parasitic intelligence.

I have not played Call of Cthulhu, but it might be best for this game.

I had hoped to include this all in one (maddening) sentence, but, alas, I failed.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

@RPMiller: There's no real chance of the machine 'failing' as such. The Standard Model of particle physics predicts that there is a Higgs boson. If it finds it, Peter Higgs gets a Nobel along worth the experimentalists that find it. If there is no Higgs found, then the entire Model has been disproved - which would be a major result as it would mean that one of the best tested theories ever constructed would be disproved. Finally it could (and is widely expected to) produce a whole world of new matter that we've never seen before, in which case it is champagne all round and a lot of work for me.

The way it could fail is to not actually produce collisions of the energy required, at the rate we need. That would be an engineering failure and is possible, though, we hope, very unlikely. Nevertheless, the collider is scheduled to run for 10 years at least, so even if it doesn't work as expected when it starts, it should be fixed soon enough in that 10 year window. We'll have to wait and see what first runs this summer produce to know how well the machinery is working. Something this large, complex and unwieldy is guarranteed to have teething trouble when they flick the on switch. The question is how serious the problems are and whether they can be fixed before the first physics run next spring (it turns off during the winter because electricity is too expensive and the experimentalists need downtime to tinker).

@Neonknight - There are many theories with extra dimensions, all of which differ on their nature. Every one of them has a good reason why we haven't seen them yet. These generally fall into one of two categories - either atoms can't move in them, but more exotic matter such as gravitons (a hypothetical particle that transmits gravity) does. Or they are very small and circular. By circular I mean that if you travel far enough in that dimension you get back to where you started - like in the Meteors! or Maelstrom games where if you fly off the right of the screen you come back on the left. In the case of these dimensions, the width of the screen is of an atomic scale, so you would never notice the process of moving across it and coming back to where you started.

There are theories with other universes that are separated from us because of the way space-time might split in quantum mechanics (ala quantum leap and parallel universes) but that is a different use of the word 'dimension'.

@ toff: nprb

@ Karro: Now that there is a top plan for at Cthulhu game... Hmmm, sounds like a fun start to an adventure.

@RPMiller: Forgot to mention, I looked it up. The expected data output is around 15 petabytes a year. That will be written to tape on site and simultaneously sent out to two or three other storage facilities around the world to avoid problems from data corruption, or say a fire. Each of those will be accessible from the Grid.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    @ toff: nprb

@ Karro: Now that there is a top plan for at Cthulhu game... Hmmm, sounds like a fun start to an adventure.
    It came to me all at once upon reading your first post... I'd have posted it sooner but was distracted by work...

Is "NPRB" secret mad-scientist code?

@Neonknight - There are many theories with extra dimensions, all of which differ on their nature. Every one of them has a good reason why we haven't seen them yet. These generally fall into one of two categories - either atoms can't move in them, but more exotic matter such as gravitons (a hypothetical particle that transmits gravity) does. Or they are very small and circular. By circular I mean that if you travel far enough in that dimension you get back to where you started - like in the Meteors! or Maelstrom games where if you fly off the right of the screen you come back on the left. In the case of these dimensions, the width of the screen is of an atomic scale, so you would never notice the process of moving across it and coming back to where you started.

There are theories with other universes that are separated from us because of the way space-time might split in quantum mechanics (ala quantum leap and parallel universes) but that is a different use of the word 'dimension'.
    Wow! I can be a theoritcal Physicist by publishing a third theory of why we don't see other dimensions:

Here it is:

NeonKnight's Big Theory on the Reason we don;t see Dimensions beyond the 4 Known

They don't exist.**

Thank You!

**Just being cheeky/ I couldn't resist
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

@Neon - actually if they find them I'll be ****ed, I work on theories in the standard 4 When they prove they don't, I'll split the winnings with you...

@Karro: Yes.

See.. what you do here is get some players who know nothing about whats going on with your work... start the game... freak them out with some really off the wall crazy crap(and I mean WAY crazy) in the game. Then tell then that the project you are working on is doing the same thing and try to convince them that the world "really" won't end like it did in the game.

Heh.. that's where RPMillers suggestino about animated gifs and the whole "fog" doing the show/hide tokens for a fraction of a second while moving closer to the players would be just freaking awesome in Maptool!

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had to do it...sorry...

May I now present to you the site of CERN LHC...August 2012.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cern-lhc2.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	249.6 KB 
ID:	4657  
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    I had to do it...sorry...

May I now present to you the site of CERN LHC...August 2012.

heh.... you should have thrown in some of the world monuments being sucked toward the event horizon.....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Heh.. that's where RPMillers suggestino about animated gifs and the whole "fog" doing the show/hide tokens for a fraction of a second while moving closer to the players would be just freaking awesome in Maptool!

Joe
    Where/when did I post that idea? I have so many ideas that I often forget that I post them. LOL
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast