Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: On hadron colliders, dark matter and black holes

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Happy to have such an interested audience. If there are any interesting developments I'll add them on to the end of this thread. Equally if people have questions I'm more than happy to pull together some answers. It'll be an interesting couple of years in this field.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Happy to have such an interested audience. If there are any interesting developments I'll add them on to the end of this thread. Equally if people have questions I'm more than happy to pull together some answers. It'll be an interesting couple of years in this field.
    Hehe.... yea, be sure to post here if the world blows up so I will know about it.... I would hate to walk out my door one morning and there not be anything out there.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Oh, I have a question. Most Grids allow anyone to connect so that their computer can be used for processing data. Does this project allow for that as well, and if so is there a link that we can go to to join the Grid?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Currently it is not a public Grid so unfortunately you can't link up to it from outside. I don't (and probably won't) have access to the Grid either as it - in its initial form - is almost entirely devoted to the experimentalists on the experiments for their data analysis. This will start soon after the LHC turns on, but the large data rates aren't expected until 2009 at the earliest.

They do have a sort of mini distributed tool which is LHC@home which, like SETI@home runs a programme on your home computer as a screensaver. That's not really Grid computing, as it can run happily for hours and then sends back results when its done rather than being assigned tasks in real time as part of one larger calculation being done across a network of machines.

This side of stuff really isn't my area, but I'm enjoying flicking through the info on the CERN website about it and giving you my understanding of the information I can drag out.

I don't know - I draw a piddly map and someone reps me. I prove* that the universe isn't going to be destroyed in a couple of months and everyone just passes on regardless. Priorities people?

*well, yes 'prove' is a little strong, but 'point people to a proof' is a little long winded.

I don't know - I draw a piddly map and someone reps me. I prove* that the universe isn't going to be destroyed in a couple of months and everyone just passes on regardless. Priorities people?

*well, yes 'prove' is a little strong, but 'point people to a proof' is a little long winded.

I am still not convinced. What day did you say they are they going to turn it on? I want to make sure I have all my affairs in order just in case... of course, if we will all be obliterated, I don't really guess theres that much to do to prepare as there will be no after(assuming we are not shunted to some strange new dimension, in which case, I think I should probably make sure I have some food, a gun, and a few big knives just in case)

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    ...to prepare as there will be no after(assuming we are not shunted to some strange new dimension, in which case, I think I should probably make sure I have some food, a gun, and a few big knives just in case)
    Ok you do that. Me, well i'll make sure I am stood near to a bus load of cheerleaders.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

[/SIZE]
    Ah, but you've only offered evidence that you* won't destroy the universe in a couple months. It's everyone else that I'm worried about

Besides, what if you change your mind?

*And ostensibly your colleagues.

Yea, what happens if a bad man sets off a bomb at the moment the collision occurs and releases the black hole and infuses it with enough power to grow in magnitude and it in turn absorbs the energy of the the collider itself and while still growing begins to suck in the very planet we call home? We are all doomed!

This message brought to you by the letter B and the number 6.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Yes we are, but only when the sun explodes in a few million(?) years. And no, that one isn't my fault either.

I heard that one physicist who was being interviewed about this said that it was far more statistically likely that a pink dragon would pop out of nothing and devour the earth than that the LHC would destroy it. To which the interviewer responded 'but it could happen?'. You can't win.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

~5 billion...gives me plenty of time to finagle my way into getting Scarlett's cell phone number too.

Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast