Thread: Taking a chunk of a larger map and working with it

Default Taking a chunk of a larger map and working with it

Sorry... I'm really bad with titles apparently.

So a long while ago I created this overland map in Photoshop CS2. What I want to do is take a region of the original map and make an independent map out of it. I'm trying to zoom in and have more detail (like taking a map of the U.S. and zooming in on Washington State). I had a problem with the resolution, but figured that part out. Now I want to add more detail, but I'm having trouble. What I did was copy the region out of the original map and paste it in a new document. However, now all the layers are blended together, and the map doesn't really look right - the river's are still pencil thin etc.

Does anyone have any tips or know of a tutorial on how to do what I'm trying?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Really, I think the only way you're going to get something decent looking is to just use the zoomed-in piece as a template. Use it as a base/background layer and trace/draw your new map over it. I know it's not an easy fix, but nothing I'm aware of is capable of zooming in on one section and creating a new, layers-inclusive document based just on that one section.

If you still have the original file with the layers cropping then resizing the image through image size is your best option. That at least will let you keep your original layers. Otherwise you will indeed have to expand it and just redraw it as Diamond already has stated. Sadly there are definite limits to which you can scale up rasterized images :p This is one of the advantages of vector images.