Thread: CC3: Filling an area out of vectors

Help CC3: Filling an area out of vectors

Okay, so I've been attempting to make a decent map in Campaign Cartographer 3 for about the last four hours. It seems to me that all I do is only a waste of time and doesn't actually help, so I decided to register and ask the pros for help here. So first off, let me say: Hello everyone!

Now that we got that out of the way, here's my problem: First I was using AutoREALM to create my fractal landmasses. They were looking really, really good, but I quickly found out that the design options for maps in AutoREALM are just not very good. Couldn't even figure out how to color different parts of the land in a different color, so I switched to CC3, which is supposed to be really good in terms of design and customization, but has a really steep learning curve. And not only that, personally I don't like its fractal pathing at all. At all. I tried for about an hour to create decent looking outlines with it, but nothing simply came even close to my landmasses from AutoREALM. So I tried to somehow get them into CC3, and I finally managed to do it by exporting the AutoREALM outlines into a .BMP file and then converting that into vectors and importing it into CC3. Now I got the outlines, great! But the thing is, I just can't get the areas to become filled. I know how to do Path -> Polygon, but that only works for smaller islands on my map, larger continents it will mess up completely.

I have uploaded the file here (CC3 .FCW format, could also upload the vector file even though I don't know why that would help). As you can see, I have managed to fill some areas (smaller islands as mentioned), but the larger ones just won't work. I'd really appreciate it if you could give me a hand here, because I am really desperate.
    By the way, that horizontal line movement in the middle of the left continent is supposed to be cliffs. The double S formation is a kind of valley, leading down to that lowground area at the top.

Cheers,
    Cookie

I recommend also asking this question at the ProFantasy forum ( ProFantasy Community Forum - All Discussions ) because they're very familiar with this package and interoperability with other systems.

And, of course, invest the time to do the CC3 tutorials.

I'd look at the file, but I'm a little leery of downloading random exe files.

I'll think about it, but for right now I'm not really interested in creating another account on a website I'll probably never visit again. I did look at the tutorials though, but none of them really explained how to work with paths and vectors and fills.

Random .exe files? It's an .FCW file.

When I tried to download it, it wanted to give me a .exe file ("Download this file for free using Tiny DM manager (exe app)"). And/or it was trying to sell me an account. Either way, I wasn't that interested.

You have to click on the file name at the top, not on the download button at the bottom. That's just that download manager the site offers. I agree though, they should have made it more clear.

It's a clever web site design that makes links the same color as the body text...

Your main continent outlines seem to be a bunch of line entities. CC3's Line To Path (right-click the Explode icon) and Combine Paths (also on the Explode right-click menu) may be of help to you.

Yes, my continent outlines are like that because I actually used the Explode function to see if that would help. And it actually did, a few of the islands I was able to fill by erasing some of the unnecessary lines (and after Line->Path and Combine Paths), but the larger continents just wouldn't want to. I didn't bother to combine all the exploded pieces again for the upload here. It's just a few seconds work anyway. Thanks all the same, though.

Cheers