Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Continent Map - WIP - Advice Welcome!

Guild Novice

I've started some labeling. I've also changed the color up to meet in the middle. I also have the color able to be disabled with 1 layer group! So when I finally complete the project I'll post side by sides.

Let me know how this is looking.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	continent_1v3.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	55241
    Thanks,
    Case

Hi Casenote,
    Sorry for not responding sooner. It would be nice if the forum automatically tracked the threads I posted in but I'm sure there is a way to subscribe somehow I have yet to figure out.

For the lakes with no sea exit. I would say it is up to you as long as you know realistically the lakes would likely be salt water and resemble the dead sea. This means the lakes would not support much life at all and their rate of evaporation would have to match the inflow levels or it would otherwise fill up until some of it could drain to the ocean. There are story ways you could create to get around this like saying that maybe the lake drains into an aquifer and the water springs up elsewhere thus allowing it to have enough flow to stay fresh etc. You could also just disregard it :p If it were me I'd probably attach most of them although having a single dead sea like area may provide some interesting story opportunities!

Even though it is a minor change I highly approve of you moving the floating frame. Changing its colour also helps it stand out more which I am sure was your intention.
    Those two land masses in the west are pretty interesting actually. If it were my map, I'd just move the two pieces of land south and maybe move the frame to the north to show them off Here I must apologize and express my respect for your beautiful map. I totally butchered it to show you what I mean. I understand you probably won't do this because you likely have reasons for where certain landmasses are and have an overall picture of your world. I'm just an obsessive who enjoys photoshop sometimes!. So here is what I mean (again, totally only as a suggestion with which you can do whatever you want and freely and guiltlessly disregard lol I hope you can forgive! : Click image for larger version. 

Name:	continent_VikingAxeJob.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	55244

Anyways, I see what the others said about the more saturated colours and I think you struck a good balance with toning them down a few notches. I would defer to the opinion of some of the more experienced map makers on here on this but have you considered varying the text colour? Maybe some of the land masses could have a more ochre coloured text instead of the black so that the city names and region names stand apart more easily. That is of course not to say there is any note worthy confusion now

I look forward to seeing this map evolve!
    Last edited by Viking; 06-10-2013 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Image attachment issues.

Guild Novice

First I would like to say thank you to everyone for looking at this and taking a little time for the pointers!!!

As for the color: I'm torn myself between the soft colors of the new version, and the archaic feeling first version. In the end I'll try both!

Viking: I think you are right about the landmasses to the west. I will definitely try and work with those, I might try your suggestion of pushing the land mass to the right, or dropping the continent as you have done. The suggestion for different colors on the fonts good, I've been toying with that as well but can't seem to strike a balance of what I like.

Case

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Hi Casenote,
    Sorry for not responding sooner. It would be nice if the forum automatically tracked the threads I posted in but I'm sure there is a way to subscribe somehow I have yet to figure out.
    you can :p there's an option in your user settings to receive emails when threads you post in are replied to. be warned... it can spam your mailbox if you post in a lot of threads!

OT: the compromise update is nice though personally i still prefer the first pic (more personal tastes than anything 'wrong' with the other, though.

I love the newest version. Sure, the first one has some charm as it looks classical/old-styl-ish. But it lacks a lot of information that the newest version has with its colors (vegetation and such).
    And i totally agree with Viking...it'd be a shame to hide that nice western continent behind the big-ass (sorry ) cartouche. So either move the landmasses (a bit drastic, dependent on how well thought out your world already is) or the cartouche (or make the cartouche smaller).

Anyway, have some rep.! And i am very much looking forward to the finished map...and hopefully more maps to come from this world.
    Btw, as always, my obligatory question: care to share some info about the world and its inhabitants? I'd be very much interested.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12