Thread: Looking for cartographer with interest in Japan

Default Looking for cartographer with interest in Japan

Hi there! I've been hanging around here for a while, and now I actually have a reason to post.

I know the title of this thread seems a little vague. An "interest in Japan" can range from interest in anime to interest in robot technology. So, to narrow this down, I am looking for a cartographer who is interested in traditional Japanese culture -- and, to a larger degree, Japanese history.

The assignment itself is actually, ideally, multiple assignments. The first of these would be the creation of a larger regional layout, and the second assignment would be the illustration/cartography of select townscapes/cityscapes. Payment would be relative to experience and credentials. However, I am totally willing to hire people without any professional experience, or those looking to take their first paid assignment -- for me, experience is secondary to the actual portfolio you provide. Pay is negotiable, though it is important that we see what the artist has to offer before we agree on payment. That being said...

Requirements:
    -> A Japanese language ability is not necessary for this assignment, though it is a definite plus!
    -> Interest in Japanese history and culture is necessary. Or, at least, an interest to learn about it.
    -> Artist must have a PayPal account.
    -> Must have a means to chat (Skype or Gmail preferred). Looking for people who are good at communicating.
    -> Maps cannot use pre-made brush sets found online. We want a completely new, unique aesthetic -- illustrative, as well as cartographic.
    -> A willingness to create a first, sample map -- free of charge -- is preferred. This can be small, and will not actually be used, but will give us an idea of where you are headed.
    -> A portfolio of works, so I can see what you have done. It might be nice to see if you have done any kind of Japanese architectural illustrations, though this is not absolutely necessary. If I reject you based on your portfolio, it isn't because I don't like your maps, but maybe because your style is not geared towards the aesthetic I have in mind. If you have an adaptable style, that can fit well with the aesthetic I have in mind, then your portfolio should show this adaptability.

Note #1: We are not looking for artists/cartographers who have an "anime" style of illustration.
    Note #2: We are willing to hire two separate artists, one for regional cartographic illustrations, and another for the townscapes/cityscapes. These two artists must be able to communicate with each other, though, and their styles must "flow" well together.
    Note #3: Payment will be on a per-map basis. However, there is some opportunity for potential recurring commission work and even part-time employment (so to speak). Again, actual payment is relative to quality of portfolio and experience. While we are not a huge company, we are also not cheap. E-mail me for details.

The artist's work will be published, and the artist will be credited appropriately. We will have exclusive rights to this art for its purpose (gaming) for 5 years -- using it for other purposes for the artist is acceptable. During that time, they can, also, be included in the artist's portfolio, examples of work, posted on this site for consideration, etc. After that time, the artist can freely employ these maps for other gaming uses, though we will still be able to use the maps indefinitely for our publishing/game needs.

A more detailed description of the project, along with visual aids that have been collected, will be given to the artist(s) upon selection.

Feel free to post here with your portfolio and/or interest, or discuss. You can also definitely e-mail me at tinyaltargames--at--gmail. Thanks for reading.

- Nick
    Last edited by tinyaltar; 06-04-2013 at 03:04 PM.

Eh, my skills and style probably match your needs, but I'm way too busy to do other work, and I actually develop my own feudal Japanese dark fantasy setting as an imprint under Rite Publishing, for the Kaidan setting of Japanese horror (PFRPG) . Also look at my signature at bottom of this post. So my interests already lie in this genre, but I'm dedicated to doing my own setting. Our first adventures for this was published in 2010, and following a successful Kickstarter last summer, our setting guides will be released Oct/Nov 2013. I'm actually creating authentic floorplans of specific Japanese locations (already released a Japanese bath house) with prebuilt encounters as adventure sites.

What system are you using for your Japan setting? Just curious.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 06-04-2013 at 03:46 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Hi Nick,

I also aply for the position. My Portfolio is in my Signature and I hope my Maps can speak for themselves.
    Also droped you a Mail refering to your Requirements.

Regards,
    Vandel

Not sure why my posts aren't going through.

To Gamerprinter: Hi there. Nice to meet you. We are not very interested in dark fantasy. While I have heard of Pathfinder, our project has nothing to do with traditional fantasy RPGs. So you don't have to worry about competition at all. Anyway, I checked your stuff out, and it seems very interesting. Keep up the great work!

Vandel: I got back to you. Thanks for your message!

Quote Originally Posted by tinyaltar View Post
    Not sure why my posts aren't going through.
    New members can have post auto-moderated due to a number of reasons. I have approved your post. Sorry for the inconvenience!

-Rob A>