Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How americans speak english differently to each other

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well being from the Northeast (New England) where we have absolutely no discernible accent.... I would have to disagree with that study.. I have no problem saying the word Caahhh or Paahk.... Very cool Ravs !!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Interesting. And also interesting that there's a rather strong and focused anomaly around Kansas City. I hadn't known it had so many migrants.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Very interesting. According to these maps, I'm from Philadelphia, the Midwest, the deep south, Louisiana, and probably Mars as well.

The resolution is a little low on the sampling (it looks like nobody in Nevada was consulted, for example). If they would just data mine the Echelon results for cell phone calls, they could probably get much better coverage. Wait, that's not publically available. Carry on, nothing to see here...

I don't see anything.
    Also, I personally say Soda-pop, compared to pop or soda.

I saw that as well yesterday. It definitely made me laugh.

Very interesting. I'm British so from an outsiders opinion it's cool to see their influences

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

#19 is awesome.

For many years now I have called it "soda", but I grew up in the 50's & 60's calling it "tonic". That didn't even make the list.

I read about another bit of interesting linguistic information a while ago. This paper stated that the current British accent did not exist prior to the American Revolution. At that time the British accent was similar to the current Bostonian accent. After the war, British Royalty started speaking with a different accent which was then mimicked by other nobles and it eventually filtered down to the general public. The paper claims there were even school where one could go and learn the new accent.

Now, I have no idea if this is factual or not, I read about it on Yahoo News, but I found it interesting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast