Thread: The Technocracy of Merothae

Default The Technocracy of Merothae

Greetings all!

Yes that time again, late on a Thursday night. Been working on this for a week or so now (i'm getting faster!)

Merothae is a land where things work not because of physics, but because of the raw magical energy flowing from the Earthfuse. The Mero'vin, humanoids slighter than humans, engineer great technologies, while their reliance on magic has begun to drain the very life from the soil.

Southern Merothae is a wild, dusty frontier. Gunslingers and Spellwielders battle against the rough beasts of Varlantor, prospecting the southern hills for gold, gemstones and gunpowder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Merothae Complete First Draft.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	55172

As always, comments, criticism and feedback of any kind is most appreciated.

Nice color scheme. One thing that seems slightly odd is how the river whose mouth ends near Refugee's Landing suddenly disappears at the border of Haldruz. I imagine this is because you wish to emphasize the region of the Great Entropy, but extending the river through other political territories would not detract from this. In fact, the political borders of the western nations looks as if it follows rivers, but no rivers are indicated on the map...am I missing something?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Nice color scheme. One thing that seems slightly odd is how the river whose mouth ends near Refugee's Landing suddenly disappears at the border of Haldruz. I imagine this is because you wish to emphasize the region of the Great Entropy, but extending the river through other political territories would not detract from this. In fact, the political borders of the western nations looks as if it follows rivers, but no rivers are indicated on the map...am I missing something?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks for the comments, sorry it's taken a little while to reply, i've been away the last few days!

The rivers around Refugee's Landing and New Lechlyn are smallish affairs. I struggle to emphasize size of rivers, especially on big maps where scale is an issue. Imagine them on par with the Pre-London parts of the Thames, or the Tyne river. I could extend it into Haldruz, I could perhaps try to see what that would look like. While some borders of this region do follow rivers, they mostly seem to be forming around mountains. The large "river" to the north, near Sentra, is actually a huge inlet, like you would get in between Devon/Cornwall and Wales.

If I do the true rivers going into another country, do you think i should represent them as a simple line?

Again, thanks for your feedback!

Also, thanks for the like vorropohaiah

I agree that showing the full course of the rivers outside of the main country would add to the overall appearance.

On a worldbuilding note: is The Great Entropy an area where the magical energies have been exhausted?

Also, I love your description of the Wild South.