Thread: New member; looking for some pointers!

Default New member; looking for some pointers!

Hello there, my fellow cartographers!

I, in the past, have made many hand-drawn maps solely as a time-passer, and I think I am quite good at it. However, seeing the magnificent quality possible by digital mapmaking, I would like to start cartography that way. I am here to ask for, well, some beginning tutorials!

I just installed GIMP, and just am wondering for some beginner's tutorials to digital mapmaking!

Thanks for reading, and replying if you decide to do so!

Thanks again,
    - Biofrell

Welcome to th eGuild Biofrell. Tutorials section will surely help you and WIP section will do aswell with feedbacks, critics and advices once you post your first thread there

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome !! GIMP is an excellent resource for digital mapping. I use it almost exclusively and I think you'll find it very powerful. There are several great tutorials in the Tutorial section that can get you started using GIMP.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Member

I just started recently too. I would also pick up Inkscape, as you may want it for drawing mapping elements from time to time, depending on how deep into the rabbit hole you end up going.

You could look up some basic tutorials on GIMP and Inkscape if you want, but I've actually found I've learned everything I needed from the clear tutorials that are linked here. They can take you from complete beginner up to an intermediate level where you start to branch off and invent things on your own.

This one is great for example:
    NewbieDM Tutorial: The Battlemap, a guest post by Jonathan Roberts | www. Newbie DM .com