Thread: Modern Metropolis

Default Modern Metropolis

Hey there, everyone. I'm new to this site, and incredibly envious of everyone's mapmaking abilities. I'm looking to commission someone to create a map of a fictional metropolis set in the modern era. I've always wanted to have a ready-made setting I can use for any sort of RPG I set in the "real world", whether it's a thriller, a superhero game, a horror story or anything else.

I can answer any questions people have about the basics of the map. It'll be set in far northern California (where there are very few people in real life) and be about 7 million people in all - Around the size of the Miami, Dallas or Philadelphia metro areas. There will be a decently long coastline with the Pacific Ocean, and since the area in real life has plenty of forests and mountains nearby, those would probably be a factor in its design.

In terms of style, it doesn't need to be super-realistic. The zoom would have to be far enough to cover the entire metro area, so the scale won't be able to show individual buildings (although I'd like some special designation for landmarks). This will be for personal use, so there's no real time deadline. That can be discussed with rates.

This is my first map commission, so you can ask any questions here or contact me via PM to talk about rates. I hope to hear from you!

We are interested! Please check out our stuff at heavycatweb.net and shoot us a message at cat@heavycatweb dot net if you are interested in working with us

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Is is a large file map or a series of smaller "Street-Atlas" style of Map? Shall it look more graphical like google Maps, or a Bit more fancy like 19th Century us Street Map? You can See Great examples at the rumsay Map collection, and can indicate the style you like.

Thank you for the reply! I looked far and wide on Google Images for the style I want, and I found something that's pretty similar to what I had in mind:

South Los Angeles Tourist Map - Los Angeles

This isn't perfect, but it's not too far off either. The scale is far enough out that you can see each individual suburb and neighborhood, but close enough that major highways and landmarks can be roughly noted. Of course, that regional LA covers much less square footage than the map I have in mind, so I recognize that my map would have quite a bit more pixels. I hope that helps.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Looks interesting to try auch a style. How much bigger would be your Final Map?