Thread: June 2013 Entry - The Ruins of Westmoor

Default June 2013 Entry - The Ruins of Westmoor

Okay, throwing my lot into the ring and having a go at this month's comp. Scoruing over the maps I settled on the ruins of Westmoor (B-12), both very fine maps by the way. I've wanted to do a proper map of ruins but never had the drive or inspiration, hopefully this will change that. No pics just yet, except the reference one below, but I thought I would come at this in the same way as I came at it in real life, from the viewpoint of an outsider. This map is going to be done from the viewpoint of an explorer from foreigns lands, maybe a hunter given the closeby monster lair, who has come to explore the ruins for yet unexplained reasons. More to come soon

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PicRef01.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	55196  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Nice to see you back in the ring, LWD!

Thnx Diamond.

Quick update, try to get some base work done in Geocontrol but with the textures I've thrown over it its hardly noticeable. Only got the base land down with some planning. Currently arguing with myself whether or not to add hills and elevation to break up the landscape. It was supposed to be a hilly landscape to match in with the tile on the reference pic but upon playing around I added a quick overlay that creates a kind of pop to my rocky areas that it seem to create a natural elevation look (pic 2) that I feel would be lost with extra hills. I know its hard to see what I'm saying in that pic but once I saw it I cannot unsee it. Gotta do a lot more figuring on this

More to come soon

-D-

Name:	WIP copy.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	55213   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP copy2.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	55214  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Good to see you back LWD, looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thnx. Quick update, added the dry river bed and some dead vegetation along the banks. Also added a quick dirty border, mostly just as a placeholder and to hide the bevels at the end of the river

More to come soon

-D-

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	WIP copy.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	55250  
    Last edited by LonewandererD; 06-10-2013 at 08:46 PM.

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Guild Apprentice

Nice texture! Looking forward to seeing more!

If it wasn't already apparent from my lack of progress I'm going to have to withdraw from this. A combination of work and a bad cold has left me with little energy to focus on this. Sorry

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Sad to here. Hope you feel better soon.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Aw, that sucks. I was looking forward to seeing what you'd do with this. Well, like arsheesh said, hope you get better.