Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A medieval harbour town

Wip

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9044879752_0cafe127e4_b.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	277.8 KB 
ID:	55367

I've finished the roofs, and added some houses and a hospital outside the town's ditch, too. I also began drawing some part of the nature in and around the town; some trees, bushes etc.
    Last edited by Chlodowech; 06-14-2013 at 06:06 PM.

I made a detailed drawing of a 13th century merchant's house similar to the bigger ones at my harbour town.

Here it is:

Name:	9088050932_2949eacefe_b.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	254.5 KB 
ID:	55523
    Last edited by Chlodowech; 06-19-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I like the sectional view but I do have a few pointers about it...Firstly, I would extend the lifting bar/hoist so that there is a bit more room between the end and the platforms that the cargo is to clear. Secondly, No stairs? If this is a house with storage I am sure that the merchant will not have his family climbing stairs all the time. Maybe the workers in the higher floors, but not him and his family.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

This is essentially a storage building with 2 or 3 chambers for the merchant and his family. These rooms are all found at the second floor. The ground floor was not used because of flooding by the sea that is right in front of the house. The first floor has only 1 small window, and therefore the rooms are very dark. At the second floor, whcih was also used for storage, there are 2 little rooms which were kind of 'wooden boxes', allowing a bit of separation from the goods. The sleeping chamber is the big room at the back part of this storey. The third and fourth floor were used only for storage.

Why no stairs but just ladders?

Stairs would occupy much of the small-sized floor space, and hence the goods were transported by the lift, there was no reason for a greedy merchant to build stairs.
    Also, the only stone walls of the building are the outside walls and the one between the front and the back part. Stairs would need a seperate staircase which would have been quite expensive (and complicated) to build.

(I'm sorry if my English is bad...)

I like it. I find the way to grow the space very original and the houses well done.

Some new stuff...

I coloured some buildings (with Photoshop Elements) just to see how it looks:

Name:	9213993787_9d1d1bec53_z.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	55865

And some decoration, also coloured...

Name:	9216930362_d7385d7387_c.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	55866

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12