Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June 2013 Entry - Marcadur City - The Oasis

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Wip June 2013 Entry - Marcadur City - The Oasis

Hi Guild,

Here is my next try for the monthly challenges. It was nice to see how Carbus was develloping his map last Month, and I kind of like the different city concepts embedded in his map. One of the features missing in my Portfolio is for sure a bunch of Citymaps. With this challenge I want to explore a style for new city maps and also try to capture the atmo of Carbus' Design.

Marcadur is the main Cityport of the northern Sheikdom of Qosmar, its mercantile epcentre and last stop of the Trader Guilds of Ganduram before they left for the Bonerealms and the shores beyond the Borders of Debalon. The Port is a strange meltingpot of cultural outcasts and a hundred foreign religions, ruled by a council of the fourtyfive most prominant Guilds and Sects, who each created a highttower within the city. Therefore it is uncomprehensiv for most Rulers of the old imperial Northlands, why this city can exist in a peacefull and even prospering stability. Since the Council of the Hight-Towers took over the city from the corupt Sheik Isharrad Abassari Ibn Halid Avorassari in the 1187. Year of the fall of the old Empire nearly eighty years ago, Marcadur has become the heart of the overseatrade. Recent outbreaks of the Red Death, the construction of the Temple of the Infernalists on the Hundred God's Cliffs, and the selfdestruction of four Councilfactions within a bloody night of assasinations and betrayal have leave the city with open wounds and a shockfrozen Council. What will happen now, that the Hightsheik of Qosmar anounced a new Sheik (including a promise of purging fire from the Salahoradin-Inquisition) and foreign ships full of soldiers entering the waterfront?

Ok here are the Elemenst for the city Design, in 100% Resolution-Screenshot, and teh Basic ground Image. The oasis is still missing, but I am still unsure how that shall look like. And on teh third image you can see how big the buildings are in relation to the full map Background.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Challenge-JUNE-13-__-001.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	742.3 KB 
ID:	55251   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City-Elements.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	55252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Challenge-JUNE-13-__-002.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	228.4 KB 
ID:	55253  
    Last edited by arsheesh; 07-02-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Why not drawing the buildings directly on the map?Way faster imo. How do you plan to build the city layout? Placing buildings one by one?

Spend hours on doing this and than I realise the problem. How did you make your city map? Direct drawing on top of your layout?

I am always doing things tooo complicate...
    Last edited by Schwarzkreuz; 06-10-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Yes I either draw the whole outlines by hand and scan it or directly in photoshop. Way faster and easier imo that dealing with one by one building placement. Also assuming you're going on terraces roof style you may want to have some soft shadow on the terraces (made by the surroundigs small walls) that really add some depth since it's harder to make such type of buildings pop up than sided roof ones.
    Last edited by - Max -; 06-10-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Yes, ok I restart this map now to the 4. time... But better learn slow than be fast and sloppy

Love the colors, really looking forward to seeing this come together.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Very nice, we might see the start of the winning map here

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Dont praise me before the end i am quiet busy this month.

Guild Member

The texture of the sand is just beautiful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast