Thread: Village in the borderland between the fighting Kingdoms

Wip Village in the borderland between the fighting Kingdoms

Dear all,

i´m quite a bit nervous because this is my very first attempt to draw a digital fantasy map. As it´s still WIP, I´ll cut off some story text and just go in my questions regarding feedback / critisism, perhaps somebody will have helpful hints for me?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beilstatt_5_4.jpg 
Views:	2490 
Size:	4.62 MB 
ID:	55245

My main questions are:

Is there any better way to draw palisades in CD3? The standard tool works okay but i´d appreciate a more realistic look with single & alternating stakes. If necessary, I´d be able to do it in PS3, but the auto-effect system for shadows etc. are really helpful for me within CD3...
    The ruins at the bottom right look a bit too clear in comparison towards the rest of the map. I took an extra layer, one with the castle and another without it, and erased bits and pieces manually. After that I redraw the edges to get a clearer cut between roof holes and the rest of the graphic. Any better solution for ruins starting within CD3 & adding some effect in PS or just trial & error with this method?

Please feel free to comment this map on every other aspect, too. I´m really looking forward for any advise I can get.

The last thing is to mention some extra rep: The style is heavily influenced by these absolutely awesome and inspiring tutorials:

Tutorials | Mapping worlds

so thanks a lot!!

Wow, one of the nicer CD3 town maps I've seen! Very attractive colors and textures. No criticism here. Great work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh