Thread: June 2013 Entry: Hagh-Grindish

Guild Member

Wip June 2013 Entry: Hagh-Grindish

I decided to join the fray and map the dwarven city of Hagh-Grindish from mariuccij's The Journey.

So far just a very rough concept before I dash out the door to get my daughter from daycare.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hagh-Grindish.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	55263
    Last edited by Pineapple; 06-13-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Concept work looks solid. Look forward to seeing it refined. It's nice to see more city and town maps in this challenge.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Pineapple,

Don't forget to put ### Latest WIP ### before your map so we can all see it in the thumbnails.

Guild Member

I've started toying with some ideas...as a nod to the theme of the challenge, hexagons will feature noticeably in the city's design. Hoping to have a new WIP up by tomorrow night. If it's not done then it'll have to wait until next week as I'll be out of town.

Guild Member

Default Latest WIP

So here's the latest WIP before I leave for my trip.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hagh-Grindish.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	55321

Still trying to find a satisfying way to show that the valley floor is well below the plateau that holds the exterior portion of the settlement.
    Last edited by Pineapple; 06-13-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Nice ideas on this; looking forward to seeing how you progress on this. One thing you might try to show the difference in distances between the top of the plateau and the bottom is to use the same shapes of buildings in both places, but make the ones on the valley floor much smaller, kind of a visual trick. The viewer will see the same shape but notice the one on the ground is smaller, helping to make it seem farther away. You might also make the whole valley floor slightly darker in color/contrast than the plateau.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Nice ideas on this; looking forward to seeing how you progress on this. One thing you might try to show the difference in distances between the top of the plateau and the bottom is to use the same shapes of buildings in both places, but make the ones on the valley floor much smaller, kind of a visual trick. The viewer will see the same shape but notice the one on the ground is smaller, helping to make it seem farther away. You might also make the whole valley floor slightly darker in color/contrast than the plateau.
    Well there aren't any buildings on the valley floor, at least the way I've planned it right now. In mariuccij's work it looked like it was supposed to be a mountain fortress. So the hexagonal portion is inside the mountain, and the roughly rectangular portion with the towers on it is at the same elevation but built on a plateau rather than cut into the mountain.

The surrounding area at the left side of the map is the lower elevation. Hopefully by the next iteration I will have found an effective way to make all of that a little more clear.

Guild Apprentice

Nice!!!! Looking great!

Guild Member

Sadly I don't think it's going to be possible to complete this. My June was not as open as I thought it would be (guess that happens with a toddler at home) and I've also got a commission that I feel has to take precedence.

Best of luck to the other cartographers, the entries look fantastic! Hopefully I'll be able to participate again in July or August.

Sorry to here that Pineapple. Another one bites the dust...