Thread: Circular Marble City

Guild Novice

Wip Circular Marble City

I'm looking for some feedback or advise on this city map. It's supposed to be an extensively pre-planned city designed by a single architect, made of marble, originally built for around 3,000 people comfortably but eventually housing 10,000+. This is my first design of the city, and the first city built on the continent, so I need to decide what needs to be fixed, and how much, and what can be left as a "design flaw" of the architect of the city. I apologize for the poor quality of the photograph, I'm still trying to get to my scanner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2247.JPG 
Views:	1644 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	55374

Cool design, very clean. I'm far from qualified to tell you what should be fixed but here is an idea i had. In the top left of the city, is the jagged line representing a cliff? (I assumed so because of the small drawing next to it) If so, first, well done adding the small sketch to represent that, it's a nice addition, second maybe your "design flaw" could just be increasing the size the cliff has taken of the city, you could move it in considerably, since this is the oldest city on the continent, it could be assumed that the cliff would continue erode and take a larger part of the city, and then the poor people of the city could be forced to live closer to the edge of the cliff, creating a slums area.

Anyway I like the design so far and can't wait to see further progress

Jason

Looks very cool. I'm not sure what needs to be "fixed," but perhaps it's easy to get lost and not be sure which 'slice of the pie' you are in.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonomicon View Post
    Cool design, very clean. I'm far from qualified to tell you what should be fixed but here is an idea i had. In the top left of the city, is the jagged line representing a cliff? (I assumed so because of the small drawing next to it) If so, first, well done adding the small sketch to represent that, it's a nice addition, second maybe your "design flaw" could just be increasing the size the cliff has taken of the city, you could move it in considerably, since this is the oldest city on the continent, it could be assumed that the cliff would continue erode and take a larger part of the city, and then the poor people of the city could be forced to live closer to the edge of the cliff, creating a slums area.

Anyway I like the design so far and can't wait to see further progress

Jason
    That's actually exactly my idea. It's going to slowly erode and they finally mostly abandon the city by the time half of the city has collapsed. I hadn't actually thought of the slums idea though. I like it. I haven't been great at thinking of applicability of cities, it took me quite a while to realize I needed to add huts as the city expanded.

Thanks for the great ideas! It's helpful, and lets me know my ideas are going in the right direction.