Thread: New map for Strategy Gaming OG

Wip New map for Strategy Gaming OG

Hello
    I open that thread couse I need a help and Criticizm as well. I make that maps for OG (Open General) project. Many people make many things for it. I will show you any map I done and I work on. That is my First map done with geat help my friend Sympatyk (maybe he will write here to).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1165.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	64543

That is Kuril Islands map.
    The second is a Leyte Gulf map

Name:	1170.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	3.29 MB 
ID:	64544

And now I work over a 3 or 4 for maps for Solomons Island mini campaign. So I wanna show you not ready map for Guadalcanal, I think i need help with sea ( any idea welcome). That is hard to do, couse map should be realistic for time of action and more the map should be not to full of details to play (strategy game). But new Open General enine allow to do bigger map. Max is 3125x2975px in real it is around 160-180 km ( about 2-3 km per hex).

Name:	Salomony rob2,5a1a.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	561.6 KB 
ID:	64545

This is first map from Solomons Islands.
    Last edited by Adamuskk; 05-29-2014 at 01:17 PM.

Welcome back to the Guild Adam! Nice job on these. One thing that I would suggest doing, to make it easier for your viewers, is to upload the images directly using the "insert image" button at the top of the editor. These maps look quite nice though. The sat images turned out very well. Are you planning on labeling them?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I will second Arsheesh's compliments. These are very nice looking. I would offer one simple tip for the seas; you could try a bump map on your water layer and then play with the opacity and sharpness of that until you find something you like. Good luck with your project.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Thank you guys. Any comments are welcome. I still think like the sea should looks like? These maps will be used in OG gaming. So some times i will need some information from all of you about old maps. For Solomons Islands I could use a sat view but some places looks to modern. To do them that way.
    Last edited by Adamuskk; 05-29-2014 at 01:35 PM.

So Tad that is little complicated. The all maps got a names. And all places are labelled too but not on the maps. We use a OG Suite to labeling any hex on the map. Imagine these maps has more then 3000 hexes to labeling. You have to do each one by your self. And game read that names from the MAP files
    Last edited by Adamuskk; 05-29-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Hi. I try to do more maps from Solomon Islands and I have next one nearly to finish...

Name:	1189 bm.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	418.8 KB 
ID:	64785

Hello adamuskk, the relief of your islands is cool nothing but "good job" to say about it. About the water it's not bad but i think you can make somes improvements: the separation between land and water doesn't seem really natural to me, maybe you could add waves to hide the transition between water and land or rise a bit the sea level to hide the demarcation. A slighly stronger blur on water between dark and clear areas can be cool too but it's just my opinion and aesthetic is really a partial subject

Thank you Francissimo. These maps are for strategy game as I said. So I still work to find solution to show the sea in best view. You can see the other maps used by this game here
    Gilestiel's map finder for Panzer General II

There is more then 1000 maps availiable to play. But new engine of game allow to use a new style of map. So we try to change it. I know that ours map are not perfect yet. It's hard to find balance between a good looking map and good map for play.

And a new map is a Russel Islands map

Name:	1188.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	702.5 KB 
ID:	64964

and ready New Georgia map

Name:	1189.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	570.4 KB 
ID:	65063
    Last edited by Adamuskk; 06-19-2014 at 09:04 AM.

And a new map i started to work on is a Boungaville map. It is not ready yet, but I hope it is not that bad even now

Name:	Bungaville.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	607.2 KB 
ID:	65099

Name:	1190.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	602.4 KB 
ID:	65147

And i start to do a new map

Name:	Rabaul New.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	508.4 KB 
ID:	65238
    Last edited by Adamuskk; 06-26-2014 at 06:06 AM.