Thread: World Map for a series

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help World Map for a series

Hi guys, what I need, desperately, is a map for my story. The story takes place on two continents, significantly different in size (the one to the east is larger). The main continent (on the west) is well sized, but not large enough that one side is noticeably culturally different from the other. There are a fair number of mountains and forest on this continent (named Numenor), but there aren't many forests (only two, but one is fairly large). Numenor is dominated by the race of humans called Numenorians, tall, fair, and proud people. The other continent (Khorviare) is a melting pot of different cultures and races (elves, dwarves, humans, all that good stuff). Here I let the cartographer loose his hand when it comes to forests and mountains and all those geographical features, but the mountains and forests should be more prevalent in the north as the south is dominated by deserts with a few oasis scattered here and there. When it comes to cities, I'll handle the naming and placing, same goes for geographical features. On Khorviare there should be a long mountain range separating the north from the south. Also, a Japan-like archipelago exists somewhere to the south east of Numenor, significantly smaller than the continents but large enough to be a respected kingdom. That's... well that's how I basically imagine my world. It all always works out so perfectly in my head, but the moment I try to draw it out I lose the image. Please, I beg you, someone, please make me a map. If my book ever goes big, I'll put in a mention on the cover and backside to both the Cartographer's Guild and the actual person who drew out the map.

Guild Apprentice

A quick sketch I made based on your information. Is this close to what you had in mind?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map3 001.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	612.3 KB 
ID:	55290
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map3 001.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	609.2 KB 
ID:	55289  

Guild Adept

On an unrelated note, although we only have a certain number of letters and syllables, and thus some fantasy names are bound to be or sound similar, using such a prominent one from a source that everyone who is likely to read fantasy stories know might not be the best choice if you plan to have any circulation for your writings.

Guild Apprentice

Agree, there might also be some copyright issues, I think. A name is something quickly changeable, if he ever goes to the point of publishing it I suppose someone will force a change on that name, so better think it in advance.

Guild Member

Khorvaire is also the primary continent in the Eberron D&D setting. That said, good luck with your project!

Pentaghast, have you thought about who would retain the rights to the map, and whether there would be monetary compensation if and when the book does sell?