Thread: Greetings From A Novice

Guild Novice

Default Greetings From A Novice

Hi!

What a great site! I've always had a fascination for maps, real or fantasy, old or new. The more detail, the better. My current goal is to learn enough to create some decent maps for an RPG I'm starting up. I'll be using Photoshop CS5, Illustrator CS5 and my newly purchased Intuos5 (I've always wanted a graphics tablet... such a pain to draw with a mouse). Looking forward to learning!

-Tim

Welcome to the Guild Tim! Well you certainly now have the tools for the job, and it seems that you have the motivation, all you need now is the know-how. You'll find help with this in the Tutorials section. Post up a WIP once you get going and ask for feedback. Look forward to seeing you around.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Welcome Tim, I'm looking forward to seeing your work! I'm a big fan of using Photoshop and Illustrator, usually in combination, to work out mapping projects, and I am soooo jealous of your tablet. Also I'm using CS4 so there's probably a little bit of jealousy for your software too

cheers,
    Meshon

Guild Novice

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.... I hardly consider myself an artist! I'll probably be doing a whole lot more taking than giving, but I promise to post some of what I create. Right now I'm going to work through the suggested beginner tutorials, just to see what I can do, and what my options are. Just finished the Eneini tutorial, and I learned a lot of interesting tricks. On to the next....

-Tim

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Dont forget to post some WIPs as you work through the tuts. It is the BEST way to make improvements in your technique and understanding of making maps.

And Welcome to the Guild, The Mappiest Place on the Web.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent