Thread: Newbie

Default Newbie

Hello all. I am trying my hand at map making as i have worked out a new homebrew RPG system. In order to flesh out some details regarding races, places, etc. I wanted to see exactly where these things would be in my world.

I have GIMP 2.8 and HAVE no experience with this sort of thing. I have watched many tutorial videos regarding Atlas maps and thing that this would be simple enough to practice making. Until I get a good feel for the program.

if there is any tips, tricks, advice anyone can offer me this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Guild Marcario! GIMP is a great place to begin. It's fairly powerful, free and pretty well supported in the tutorials section here. As for tips and tricks, it's hard to offer these in the abstract. If you start a WIP thread and ask for feedback it would be easier to give advice. However there are some tips that can be given in advance. First, makes sure you understand the basics of plate tectonics, volcanic activity, erosion and climate zones. I think the adage "measure twice, cut once" is a good rule of thumb; you don't want to invest a lot of time into a map only later to discover that it doesn't make any sense. While there are discussions on all of these topics floating around (you'll have to do a search for them), here's one that is a sticky that you may find useful How to get your rivers in the right place. If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. Best of wishes on your new project.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh