Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The foundations of a new world

Oh no I agree, I do kind of feel like its missing that large shape. But its all about perspective, I think. Without a sense of scale, the continents could be any size. They could be larger than Eurasia for all we know, but in relation to each other, since there are 2 similarly sized continents, it doesn't feel as big. Im starting to realize that Im probably going to have to start from scratch again with newly learned things in mind, I just want to get as much feedback and criticism on this current one so I can keep that in mind when reshaping or building new continent shapes. I may have to make one of the main continents a bit beefier than the other, so it doesn't have that feeling that nothing is that big.

EDIT: I also want to see if I can find shapes that are able to fit inside rectangles, and yet still seem organic and keep from feeling like those borders are there when looking at the world as a whole. I hope that makes sense what Im trying to say there.

Edit 2: Alright, Ive modified it a bit more, adding a bit more land to the south, and trying to make the world look less symmetrical and more natural, tell me what you guys think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	worldcontinents3.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	55381
    Last edited by AlexSchacher; 06-15-2013 at 03:13 AM.

Alright, Ive adjusted the continents once again and I think Im really close to something I am happy with. I tried planning out major mountain ranges, as well as a faded line for tectonic plates and a red line for the equator. Let me know on how realistic the mountain placement is.

Name:	WorldContinents4.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	585.9 KB 
ID:	55424

Hey Alex,
    That looks pretty good to me to be honest! I don't know why but seeing it with the mountain ranges makes it feel so much more believable! I like how it's coming

Hey thanks a lot Viking!

Heres an update, Ive started zooming in and drawing more detailed coastlines. Im going for the final coastlines for this view of the world, which will be the lines that the even more detailed coastlines will be based off of when I zoom in much closer to make local maps. Im open to any criticisms or advice anyone has on this, I want to make sure its looking good before I move on to the rest of the continents.

Name:	Continent1.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	55448

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Seems you're off to a good start

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12