Thread: Simple Continental Outline

Default Simple Continental Outline

Here is a map of the whole world (which I mapped part of here) (with a small modification on part of the coastline):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Erda Simple Color.png 
Views:	1469 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	55325

Anyone have any suggestions? I plan on adding more islands (especially in the northwest), but overall, there is a greater water-to-land ratio than on Earth.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

If anything, I would say DON'T put a whole bunch more islands in the northwest - it will make the map too symmetrical, in my opinion. What about scattering a bunch of them in that lower-central ocean, between the two southern continents? That way the whole upper left quadrant of the map is left open for a cartouche/legend/title to balance out the map without artificially inducing too much symmetry in the landforms.

That's a good idea, using that area for the legend. Thanks for the input on island placement!

Blog Entries

You've got distortion issues, particularly if you want to match up with your previous regional map. You can't just zoom in and out. World and regional maps need to be in different projections.

Judging by the aspect ratio, you appear to be aiming for Plate Carree/Equirectangular, which is OK for a base map to feed into software for conversion to other projections, (the math for it is really easy) but it is a horrible projection for finished maps as it has particularly pronounced and ugly looking distortion. If you don't include that distortion, then it's the land itself that's distorted.

To convert your original map to this projection, you would have to do something like this to it:

Name:	reproj.png 
Views:	234 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	55350

Otherwise what you've drawn in your new map is actually something like this:

Name:	stereo.png 
Views:	326 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	55351

For the most part I'm not too concerned--though I did notice the effect shown in the bottom picture when I used it as a texture for a planet in Universe Sandbox. I appreciate the advice, but I don't think it's necessary for me to go that in-depth with the mapping process (though I might explore it in the future) for this one.

Thanks again, it was especially helpful that you included visualizations.