Thread: Hello Cartographers Guild!

Guild Novice

Post Hello Cartographers Guild!

I recently became aware of this site and decided to join in. Here are a few words about myself.

Right from early childhood, I enjoy reading tales set in real or fantasy lands, where log arduous journeys are involved and the write is good enough to vividly evoke the geographical landscapes therein. I would doodle and sketch out journey paths as I read a book. Later I would look at the sketch and re-live the journeys in my mind. An escapist hobby, to be sure but very soothing in the context of a somewhat harsh childhood environment. The hobby has stayed with me all these years.

Of course, in more recent times I started using programs such as Microsoft Paint. Now I am into GIMP - only discovered it in the last 3 months or so! I hope I will learn much from the Cartographers Guild in terms of skills and techniques for creating geographies at continental/regional scales. and I hope I might contribute an image or two no doubt to be shot down!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Hello, and welcome! I should let you in on something I discovered here; there is no shooting down, just helpful tips and ideas! So definitely post your maps without fear. Check out some of the tutorials to get you started and enjoy! You will definitely learn something here, and you will find a very welcoming and helpful community to do it it. I look forward to seeing your maps.

cheers
    Meshon

Guild Novice

Thank you Meshon...there is nothing in the world that beats a polite welcome and a few words of encouragement. I still have to complete 5 posts before Cartographers' Guild concludes I am not a cyborg spammer. I guess I should be able to interact better then. Meanwhile I will concentrate on the tutorials...

Welcome to the Guild mssandhu! I concur with Meshon, the tutorials section is the first place to begin. Once you start working your way through a tutorial place up a WIP so as to receive early feedback.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh